Author Topic: "Panyerman"  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Panyerman"
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 11:04 BST (UK) »
I grew up on the Shropshire borders and am still familiar with the area.  I've never heard the term used in the way that you use it, Victoria.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
No,Idid not look it up as I am familiar with the term from my days in rural
Shropshire

With great respect, there was a world of difference between rural Shropshire and the north-east of England! The term was referred to in a 1607 baptism near Hartlepool.

(I have not seen the spelling used in the post,with the y,but only as I know it but as you say this is a dialect word there will be regional variations of course,either that or a spelling error.)

If you would look at the link to the excellent Dialect Dictionary which I posted it shows in detail how the word changed in Yorkshire from pannierman to panyerman, and that it was specifically linked in that area to the fishing industry.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
Viktoria - The event took place in Stranton near Hartlepool.  JenB has pointed out that we are talking about North East England, so not sure why Shropshire has been included by you.   :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
Well I heard it from people old enough to remember when the pony and cart was a thing of the future and the man with a large basket  on his back was
the “ mobile shop”.
As I am 82 and the people I spoke with as Child were in their seventies at least in the 1940’s they would be talking of a time before Queen Viktoria
 died.They would be speaking of the 1870’s.

My great aunt,my paternal grandmother’s younger sister was in her late 60’s when I went to live with her.
However as I do not have the Dialect  Dictionary you mention I just quoted what I was familiar with.
 I mistakenly thought it might be of some help to give what info I had in the hope it might be useful.
How long would you like me to stand in the corner?
Viktoria.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
Out you come, Viktoria.

;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 23:44 BST (UK) »
From The English Dialect Dictionary:
"1. Pannier-man or panny-man a) a hawker of fish, &c, who carries his goods in panniers slung over the back of a horse or donkey; b) the person in charge of a pack-saddle laden horse or company of horse. …….."
Followed by a footnote:
"(1.a.) nYks, eYks. At the present time the men who buy the fish from those who catch it at Flambro' are called variously 'pennymen' and 'pannymen'. Years ago these small merchants all kept asses and met the boats on their arrival, and after buying the fish it was loaded up in panniers on the asses to bring it to the mainland. They were then called 'pannier-men' and it has got corrupted to 'pannyman'. … [Mock no panyerman, your father was a fisher. (Ray Prov. 1678)]"

So everyone was correct. Victoria had broadened out to "&c", and referred to the sort of person whom my grandparents would have called packman.  :)
Cowban