Author Topic: How far back into the dim mists of time.....  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How far back into the dim mists of time.....
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
With my Morgans, it has taken me about a year and a half to get back to 1756, which I am really pleased with.  :D

However, with my mums mum it has taken me 2 years (and still haven't got anywhere) to try and find out who her parents were!  >:(

I'll get through that solid wall one day!

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 17:22 BST (UK) »
On my mothers side it took about 2 years visiting an LDS library every week to get back to 1670 and possibly back to 1510.  Not sure about that as it is a common Christian name.

My fathers side after 20 years I am still stuck in London in 1812 with very little hope of getting back further but I keep trying.

On one branch from Jersey there is a book about the family which goes back to 1067.  BEAT THAT

It is interesting filling in all the branches.  Looking forward to September when, once again, I will start with A from my fathers side and go through all the names.  I usually start in September because it is the beginning of the winter period and not too much gardening to do.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline ian.h

• I have turned off all notification of new replies
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
iv only been searching for 7 months  since a friend passed me a link to this site, and with a bit of help of some of the folks on here I'm back to 1710 on one side of the family,
plus having a 104 year old grandmother helps in the search for the family(when she a wake  ;D)

this is how far back iv got so far with my family
borlase.cornwall-1801
anstice.bristol-1809
hughes
murphy ireland-1843
cullwick Birmingham-1710
smart -bristol-1851
vaughan- hereford- 1844
bennett-bristol-1833
atb ian.h
borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
cullwick Birmingham-newport
smart -bristol
vaughan- hereford- newport
bennett-bristol-newport

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 18:52 BST (UK) »
On one branch from Jersey there is a book about the family which goes back to 1067. BEAT THAT
Sylviaann

Hi Sylviaan,

Was Jersey part of the Norman conquest of 1066, or was it already Norman?

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Sylviaann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 August 05 10:10 BST (UK) »
Grothenwell

Jersey was already full of the French, after all it is nearer to France than Britain.  Not sure when it became British.

Sylviaann
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 August 05 05:36 BST (UK) »
I did alot in 1998-1999 (~18 months total) and then stopped for a while. Having children was what got me interested, plus all the family trees in the back of Lord Of the Rings.

It is so time consuming I had to put it all away and finish my medical specialty training and wait until the kids were at school.

Since I have come back to it (2 months) there's a heap more online which has been great. Unfortunately, being in Australia is a big hindrance at times and some stuff will have to wait till I get back over to the UK.

I have many lines back to early 1800s late 1700s (NE Scotland, Yorkshire, Warwickshire) but am stuck there currently. Then I haven't even started on my Polish or Romanian ancestry.................

Cas
Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 18:55 BST (UK) »
:D

Well my the earlier Still find has led on to Lumsdens (Lairds) which led on to Leslies (Barons) which led on to Lindsays (Earls) who led on to the first Stewart King Robert II who led on to the Bruces King Robert I and from there it goes back to Kenneth MacAlpin first King of Scotland and further back to the Kings of Dalriada. So I think circa 800 AD

I'm relying on other people's published genealogical work for this and when I find time to try and confirm it, (if possible), I might find I've egg on my face, but in the meantime I feel like I've won the genealogical lottery  ;D
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Family Guy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
800 AD.............I think I might give in now............... ;D

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 01:16 BST (UK) »

800 AD.............I think I might give in now...............

Never give in as my Ancestor Robert said after watching the spider! haha.

Seriously I still don't think it's about how far you go back or how many ancestors you find (although I'll admit the more the merrier) it's about always having something to find, enjoying the search and getting round or over that brick wall.

Keep going and good luck with the searching ;)
Caithness; Sutherland