Author Topic: Looking for help with James Hall Birth 1844 at Coleorton  (Read 1341 times)

Offline cjackson100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help with James Hall Birth 1844 at Coleorton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.

I do think Annie that in 1901 this is the right James Hall, even though his age doesn't seem to fit, his daughter also moved from the Ashby area to Beighton, next village to Woodhouse.

I have also found what might be James's death,
James Hall burial 12/6/1907 a miner age 67, again difference in age buried at Woodhouse cemetery.

I do also have a marriage of a William Edwards and Sarah Room June 1/4 1844,
Will keep searching

Regards
Chris

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 April 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
My wife has ancestors from Coleorton, which is often written differently on the censuses as are peoples ages.

When William Edwards married Sarah Room on 24th June 1844, they had a child on the way. Thomas Edwards, son of William and Sarah, was baptised on 31st October - mother Roome on GRO.

Perhaps William had two options for marriage and chose Sarah Room, which could account for why that surname has relevance.

The ages in the records vary and the only correct one for James Hall might be the burial (from his birth certificate?). The only birth that fits the date was Q2 1840 in Ashby District - no mother's surname name.

The other children of Sarah Hall, also no mother's surname - Jane 1837, Hannah 1843 and Elizabeth 1847.

In 1861 Sarah (b Thringstone), Jane (b Coleorton), Elizabeth (b Workhouse) were 'special paupers,' together with another daughter,  Phoeby (b Workhouse), again no mother's surname.

No sign of James, so the latter could have married. Also no sign of Hannah, although there is a Mahalah of the same age in 1861, and she appears to be a daughter of Sarah in 1871, together with Phoebe. They were living with Sarah's brother, Joseph in Thringstone.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFTF-HCR

David

P.S. The missing James in Church Gresley?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 April 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
In case you havent found the 1861 Census;
Look for James Hall born c 1841 Thringstone, Surrey, lodging in Thringstone, Leics.
Unm, occp Collier.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)