Author Topic: James White  (Read 2205 times)

Offline mkplato

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James White
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 April 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information most interesting regarding Boxgrove perhaps this James White is a relative.

The girls were definitely in Australia by 1847. I have not found them on any shipping manifests. However, Frances White had a boy named George with George "Barker" is how it was registered but the surname is really Parker. She had a daughter also with George. In a Trove newspaper article the daughter says her father and mother never married. She goes onto say her mother's husband was Mr Standley of Norwood.

Frances had a relationship with Charles Standley and had her first son (to him) Robert Standley was born in 1863 then she had a second son my grandfather Daniel in 1868. They never married. The Standley's had property both on Eyre Peninsula - where it is believed Frances met Charles - and in Norwood where Daniel was born. Many thanks   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 April 19 10:40 BST (UK) »

BDM SA birth
1868   STANDLEY   Daniel parents    Charles STANDLEY / Frances WHITHIS     Adelaide   65/395

BDM SA death
1902   288/198   STANDLEY   George Henry Barker   
(relative) W STANDLEY (B)   Gilbert

Can you please identify.....name and date of newspaper....the article you are seeing.

Where do you see Charlotte WHITE, sister of Frances.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 April 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
In 1829 he married Sarah Forester in Boxgrove Sussex.

Bachelor and Spinster, both of the parish.
James and Sarah marked. Witnessed by John White (also marked)

They had two children Frances (Fanny) born 1829 who was possibly Christened in Westhampnett, Sussex and Charlotte Christened at Tillington, Sussex, England 1831. 

They were both baptized in Westhampnett.
Charlotte on 15 May 1831, which has been added at the very bottom of the page in the parish register.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DY99-LNJ?i=635

Fanny's is on the previous image. Father a Labourer

BT for Charlotte, it seems to say omitted in register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1S3-C7C?i=661&cat=1022207

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 April 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
Mention this from the West Sussex Archives catalogue, but is it the same James?
Chichester Quarter Sessions Roll
October 1831
James White, 21, Labourer from Boxgrove. Stealing 4 gallons Wheat (3/-), the property of Thomas Fogden, on 17.8.1831 at Boxgrove. Committed 18 Aug 1831. 7 years transportation. Folio f101, f117

EDIT
Transported on the Lady Harewood, 13 March 1832.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 April 19 11:35 BST (UK) »
A Sarah Forester was baptized 5 June 1808 at Aldingbourne, close to Westhampnett and Boxgrove.
Parents William + Mary
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DBRJ-ZB?i=157

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
Transported on the Lady Harewood, 13 March 1832.

New South Wales 1832
List of Male Convicts by the Ship Lady Harewood...arrived from England 5 August 1832

Indent No. 151
James White
Age - 21
Read/Write - None
Religion - Protestant
Single, Married, or Widowed - Married
Children - 2 Female
Native Place - Sussex
Trade/Calling - Ploughman, shepherd, milks, sows, reaps
Offence - Stealing grain
Where Tried - Sussex Quarter Sessions
When Tried - 17 October 1831
Sentence - 7 Years
Former Conviction - None
Height - 5 feet 5 3/4 inches
Complexion - Fair ruddy
Hair - Brown
Eyes - Chestnut
Marks - Scar right side of forehead, small red mark outer corner of red eye

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hampshire Telegraph, 24 October 1831
Sussex
On Monday and Tuesday, the Quarterly Sessions for the Western Division of the county were held at the Guildhall, Chichester...
On Monday the following prisoners were tried...
James White, for stealing at Boxgrove, on the 17th of August, four gallons of wheat, the property of Thomas Fogden, was sentenced to seven years' transportation. The prisoner was employed by prosecutor at the rate of four shillings per diem during the last harvest when he committed the theft.

Offline mkplato

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 April 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Jonw65,

All this information is so amazing. Thank you so very much. Interestingly I did find this James White on the convict list into NSW just yesterday but there wasn't the detail that you have provided. I really do think this is our James. Throughout my search for Frances' origins and how she and Charlotte arrived in Australia I had in the back of my mind that there was a connection to transportation. In a book on the Standley's there is an entry of when she was admitted to the destitute asylum a year before she passed. In that it states she arrived in Australia on the "Royal Admiral". Now that was mainly a convict ship. I could not find her on any manifests. Also the dates of the journey's to Australia didn't match with the earlier research I uncovered. I wonder if his wife died??

The interesting piece you have uncovered is the mention of Chichester. In the admissions account information Frances states she is from Chichester, Sussex. If she was a small child when she arrived in Australia then perhaps that was all she knew?? I can't tell you how excited I am with this news. Thank you so much. Now to try and discover what happened to him, Sarah his wife and the girls in Australia.
Kindest regards and again my sincere thanks
Karen

Offline mkplato

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 00:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Wivenhoe,

This is the newspaper report which has the vital information - I have edited it as the report is too extensive for this site:

POLICE COURT.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5.
[Before Mr. H. E. Bright, M.P., and T. O.
Jones, J. P.]
WIFE DESERTION.—Henry Munday was charged with deserting his wife.
Emma Munday, said — I am the wife of defendant. He deserted me six weeks before
Christmas. He said he would send for me. I went to Port Lincoln three months ago, and
heard my husband was there.......my confinement he would give me an order to go to the Destitute. I then took out a summons against my husband.  I came to Port Lincoln to Larkin's, and you wrote to me to take a house for a fortnight you could come down.  I heard you were ...... miles away I did not come to you because my arm was bad, and I met my step-father on the road, and he said I
had better go on to Adelaide. I then went on in the mail to Streaky Bay, and went in a
vessel to Adelaide. I did not go with two men, only my step-father. His brother was
with him in the mail, and a lot more; but I only went with my step-father. By the Court
— Where I went to was 100 miles farther away from Adelaide. My step-father paid my
passage. My own father is in the Destitute. His name is Parker. Mr. Stanley, my step-
father, is married to my mother, who was never married to my own father.

Emma Mundy (Munday) married a second time to a William Gamble in 1885. She died in NSW in 1908 and her father is registered as "George" and mother "Fanny".

Cheers and thank you for your interest and assistance.