Author Topic: How to pronounce Cavan  (Read 5947 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to pronounce Cavan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
My Cavan cousins would pronounce where they come from as Kyaaah-vyaan but think I was being sarcastic if I did!
I would say they are from CAAA-van to keep the peace!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
According to the Gasaitéar na hÉireann it's not a V sound at all.

The Irish name is An Cabhán: the vowel in An is the neutral sound of unstressed syllables (in English, too), and the name itself is /kaua:n/.  Who'da thought it?

Not being an Irish speaker I'll continue to pronounce it 'kævan (the a also tending to a neutral sound).
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 April 19 00:15 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, if he's Australian, it's likely to be pronounced the same as Gavin. Unless his parents are Irish of course.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 April 19 02:12 BST (UK) »

https://www.logainm.ie/en/100003   click on triangle beside the word Cavan 

That's it.

So many variations ....  may I please ask if the locals ever pronounce it as per the triangle next to
An Cabhán rather than the triangle next to Cavan?

Thanks Ruskie, for a very interesting thread, it is an excellent example of how words can be pronounced differently across time and distance.   And, of course,  those changes can be significant contributions to changes in spelling within English.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 April 19 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, for a very interesting thread, it is an excellent example of how words can be pronounced differently across time and distance.   And, of course,  those changes can be significant contributions to changes in spelling within English.

Indeed JM & thanks too Ruskie...

Interesting topic as it shows how dialects change words to the ear which can be very different to the actual name/pronunciation.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 April 19 06:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for everyone's contributions. It has been an interesting thread hasn't it?  :) I am surprised it has reached 3 pages, and surprised there are so many variations on how to say Cavan.

I am sure he would have been named after the County though I don't believe his parents are/were Irish, so probably pronounced as Gavin is (as suggested by pinefamily).

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 April 19 07:47 BST (UK) »

So many variations ....  may I please ask if the locals ever pronounce it as per the triangle next to
An Cabhán rather than the triangle next to Cavan?

Generally people don't mix languages, I think that's the basic rule internationally. Cavan when speaking English, An Cabhán when speaking Irish.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 April 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sinann  ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.