Author Topic: Trying to find out about Ellen Gomm born 1887 in Birmingham  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Katie28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find out about Ellen Gomm born 1887 in Birmingham
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 April 19 00:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your help. Time for bed now. Will pick this up tomorrow  :)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 April 19 00:35 BST (UK) »
I'm sure there will be lots here for when you wake up!

1911  (I think it is still copyright?) so I will just say they are living in Smethwick, District 34 and transcribed again as Clayton.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 April 19 07:44 BST (UK) »
Although George Cleaton is not blood-related, knowing his father's name may help if a marriage ever shows up for George and Sarah Ann.
George was born to James Cleaton, wife Mary (nee Kennedy).  James was also a boiler maker.
George was baptised at All Saints, Birmingham on 3 Feb 1861. His parents/siblings are quite easy to follow through the censuses.

I have looked high and low for a marriage for Sarah Ann and George, and nothing.  Either George was married before, so he was unable to get married (divorces were next to impossible back then), or it so badly transcribed for both their names to the point no index will pick it up, or it is just plain missing.

The "best fit" for Sarah Ann's death is:

Sarah A Cleaton d aged 84 Dec qtr 1947 Birmingham
Volume:    9c
Page:    230

Offline Katie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 April 19 23:00 BST (UK) »
Although George Cleaton is not blood-related, knowing his father's name may help if a marriage ever shows up for George and Sarah Ann.
George was born to James Cleaton, wife Mary (nee Kennedy).  James was also a boiler maker.
George was baptised at All Saints, Birmingham on 3 Feb 1861. His parents/siblings are quite easy to follow through the censuses.

I have looked high and low for a marriage for Sarah Ann and George, and nothing.  Either George was married before, so he was unable to get married (divorces were next to impossible back then), or it so badly transcribed for both their names to the point no index will pick it up, or it is just plain missing.

The "best fit" for Sarah Ann's death is:

Sarah A Cleaton d aged 84 Dec qtr 1947 Birmingham
Volume:    9c
Page:    230

I would just like to thank you for all of you help. I have managed to find so many relatives. Some are even in Canada.

Offline Katie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 April 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Albert Edward Cleaton was baptised at Smethwick 14 September 1904, son of George and Sarah Ann.

Thank you very much for all your help.