Author Topic: Jewish Ancestry  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestry
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
I will certainly look more into the conversion process from the link you have given Sandie.

Josephine -- I do appreciate that Jewish Gen won't have everything -- but it is such an enormous site when you get into it that I am going around in circles a bit -- it's also telling me I can't doan advanced search without paying something like 360 dollars.

I may be misunderstanding it - and will 'attack' it again later. I have found brief transcribed marriage records of this family line in 1800 and 1823 -- so that's good.

(I notice that there has been more correspondence on this topic since I added the word 'Completed' to the title, than there was before!! I am so glad because I have learnt more.)

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:13 BST (UK) »
I still think that your best bet will be any synagogue close to where they lived. And probably a lot cheaper, too. Use Mr Google and see what you can find, then approach them directly.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
Within 24 hours of death -- my goodness I wonder how they manage that logistically with everyone who needs to be involved. Amazing.
In the late 18th century, burial records for a parish near me give dates of death, and "following day" appears to be the norm. For those who died 20 miles away, 2 days seems standard, even in midwinter.

It seems that setting the soul to rest as soon as possible is commonplace.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
I was thinking more of the officials -- obtaining the death certificate - registering the death - religious officials being available at the Synagogue - grave diggers etc.

Nowadays there is no way I can see that time frame being achieved - although I have wondered what happens with the Muslim burials at my home town cemetery - I hadn't realised before that Jewish burials adhered to the same immediacy.

ThrelfallYorky --- I do agree with what you say, but I don't really like to trouble individual institutions.
(Don't mind troubling Rootschatters though!!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.