Author Topic: Jewish Ancestry  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
After the marriage his Gt Grandmother suddenly had a middle name of 'Sarah' which she didn't have before
For your information, Sarah is the name traditionally taken by female converts to Judaism. It's certainly possible that she converted.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:59 BST (UK) »
Bookbox -- thank you SO very much for that information --- again --- how very interesting.
I have never known anything at all about the customs and practices of the Jewish religion - so this is all so useful.

Thank you again.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 April 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
got your message will get back as soon as can meantime https://www.jewishgen.org/
this site might be worth a look It gives quite a bit of information
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestry - Completed Thank You
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 April 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandie -- as you say that site for which you provided the link does hold a lot of useful information -- thank you. Unless I'm misunderstanding it though - I cannot search on a name without registering and paying 100 dollars.

Sandie -- please don't bother about this query any more -- I think the bride converted from what I have been told -- and it's not too important to find an actual record. Thank you all for your contributions and help.
Places of interest;

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestry - Completed Thank You
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 April 19 10:40 BST (UK) »
Unless I'm misunderstanding it though - I cannot search on a name without registering and paying 100 dollars.

Once registered with JewishGen, you can access all the data on the site free of charge. The voluntary donation simply allows access to a slightly more sophisticated search interface.

in addition both Gt Grandparents were buried in Hoop Lane Jewish Cemetery in London

You don’t give any dates, but this particular burial ground is shared between the West London (Reform) Synagogue and the Spanish & Portuguese (Sephardi) community. Given the wife’s background, it seems most likely that they belonged to a Reform group, because Liberal and Reform groups tend to have rather more relaxed membership rules than Orthodox synagogues.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 April 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Bookbox -- you are a veritable mine of information -- I notice now that if I do register I am likely to receive emails requesting donations. I don't blame them for this at all - an awful lot of hard work has gone into compiling this site.

I am doing this for someone else though so it's a 'one off' family - and I don't want pestering with messages, although I am willing to make a donation commensurate with my use of the site and may well do that just to see if I can obtain a record.

I obtained the burial details from the Cemetery Scribes website -- a brilliant resource for London. I even had a photo of gravestones of other older family members complete with details of the family. I think that's just amazing. Also noticed that people seem to have been buried within 2 days of their actual death - unless that's an error. I assumed it was possibly a custom, much like Islamic speedy burials -- but haven't checked that yet.

The initially mixed religion couple I am talking about in particular, were buried in 1912 and 1920 at Hoop Lane.

Places of interest;

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
Jewish burial should ideally be within 24 hours of death (but isn’t always).

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
I'd forgotten that Sarah is ( often) used for female converts! Thanks for reminding me.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
Within 24 hours of death -- my goodness I wonder how they manage that logistically with everyone who needs to be involved. Amazing.
Places of interest;