Author Topic: Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 May 19 14:36 BST (UK) »
You are doing sterling work, RTL, especially as you are also working and looking after a grandchild!  I'm retired now, but was rehearsing and then performing in a concert this week.

It's interesting to read the Staffordshire newspaper excerpt about the Cooks and read that George senior and Charlotte were present, also George Loundes (sic) junr. At around 18 years old maybe he hadn't yet been called up at what must have been just before the beginning of the war.  Also present seem to be George's 3 sisters (K, M & C as you have already found).

Now, if this is a further marriage for Elizabeth Elsie Lowndes nee Wilson with William Cook in Mar Q 1949 it makes me wonder whether William was a Cook relative of some sort.  From the earlier newspaper notices you mentioned she is clearly called by her second forename. 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 May 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
I hope your concert goes well this week.  :)

Yes, I wonder too if the person George's wife seems to have gone on to marry was a relation of his or whether it was just a coincidence that he was called Cook.

When I can next get to my local libraries likely within the next two weeks I will have a look at the old local newspapers to see if there might be more.  Since George is named on the Cenotaph at Whitley Bay I think that might be a good chance that there might be something in the Whitley Seaside Chronicle.   :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner