Author Topic: Strageath Mill, Muthill  (Read 1229 times)

Offline moragb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Strageath Mill, Muthill
« on: Monday 22 April 19 15:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about Strageath Mill in the 19th Century.  My g-g-grandfather, James Stewart, was the miller there in the 1830s and 40s.  Unfortunately, the family was missed off the census in 1841 and he was dead with his wife remarried to John Milne who had become the miller by 1851.  Without any further information about James, I cannot take this branch of my tree back any further.  Big brick wall so would appreciate some assistance.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Strageath Mill, Muthill
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:39 BST (UK) »
 Hi
You probably have his death but...
Perthshire Courier 18th Jan 1844
Sudden Death
On Sabbath morning last, John Stewart, miller of Strageath, was found dead in his bed. He had been slightly complaining for some days previous, but not so much as to prevent him from attending to his usual employment.
Not much info there unfortunately.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
I don't know anything about it, but if I were you I would go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and look up Strageath in the 1855 valuation roll. This will tell you the name of the proprietor in 1855, who was probably also the proprietor when your James Stewart was the tenant. (Chances are that it was the Drummond of Perth estate.)

Then I'd go to the Scottish Archive Network https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/scancatalogue/welcome.aspx and see if the estate papers have survived, and if so where they can be consulted. If you are in luck you might find rental rolls or estate plans.

You might find something of interest in the New Statistical Account http://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/viewer/nsa-vol10-Parish_record_for_Muthill_in_the_county_of_Perth_in_volume_10_of_account_2/

There are some photographs here of the immediate surroundings, including one of Strageath Mill.
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/200120
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 19 21:35 BST (UK) »
Older images of the mill here http://perthshirecrieffstrathearnlocalhistor.blogspot.com/2018/04/strageath-roman-camp-holy-well-st.html

A lot around online on the history of the area back to Roman times.

The mill property ownership and description here:
https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/perthshire-os-name-books-1859-1862/perthshire-volume-62/43

Doesn't help much though with James Stewart's roots  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 April 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
From what you mention, James's wife Mary and Stewart children in 1851:

John Milne 35 Corn Dealer & Miller
Mary Milne 36 b. Forgandenny, perthshire
George Milne 3
Elisabeth Milne 1
John Stewart 12 b. Muthill
Mary Stewart 10 b. Muthill
James Stewart 8 b. Muthill

James and Mary Drummond married in November 1837 in Muthill?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 April 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
This looks a good possibility for James and Mary and children in 1841:

James Stewart 40 Small farmer
Mary Stewart 33
John Stewart 6
Christian Stewart 2
Mary Stewart 2 Weeks
Janet Wardlaw 8 servant
John Forrence 17 agr lab
Elisabeth Mouray 14 servant
Duncan Stewart 33 agr lab

Address: Woodlane, Kincardine, Perthshire

Why do you think that James Stewart was miller at Strageath Mill in the 1830-40s up to his death?

Have you been able to confirm the names of the parents of Mary Drummond?

Monica

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 April 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
Milling was a family business, the derived names Milne & Miller had a centuries old association with the trade, nice to see one still grinding away in the mid 19th century.
 Other mills in the parish were Steps & Balloch mills, might be worth a look!

Skoosh.   

Offline moragb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Well, Thank you all very much.  You have given me a lot to think about here and I can perhaps get the Stewarts back a wee bit more.  In answer to all questions: no, I hadn't seen his death but I knew it was somewhere between 1843 (g grandfather's birth) and 1847 ( Mary's remarriage).  Mary and James' marriage banns are quite descriptive so I know he was miller at Strageath in 1837 and with Mary herself still being there in 1851, I assumed that she actually hadn't moved.  Valuation Roll is a great idea and maybe through mill ownership will get somewhere.  I suppose it would be too much to find that his father had the mill before him!! :-) 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
@ Morag, by the mid 19th century thirlage had been abolished in Scotland. The centuries-old system whereby the tenants of an estate were compelled to use that laird's mill & no other, plus supply so many days free-labour to maintain the mill, it's water supply & cut peats for the kiln, so not always a popular figure, but an independent one.  The miller was a tacksman & held a lease, he was a skilled man & generally did much of the mill-wright's work himself.  Meal was used as a currency & paid wages, rents, debts etc! The fee (multure) charged by the miller for grinding the corn (oats & barley) was paid in meal, (the percentage varied,) this the miller sold at the market which required a horse & a croft to support it. Millcroft/Milncroft are common place-names!
 An asset to the estate, the miller paid a high & steady rent, he was also used by the laird for deducting meal from farmers to pay their rents & often consulted on lettings & rentals.
 The miller had an assistant who also was paid in meal, often a son who hoped to follow his father but might have to find himself a mill elsewhere.

Before your man's time the parish also included Ardoch, try a search of the Muthill Horse Tax Rolls, Dog & Cart, taxes etc, levied to raise cash to fight the French. The older Hearth Tax also!
 A quick check of "Old Scottish!" doesn't show many Stewarts!

Skoosh.