Author Topic: Where did he go/come back?!  (Read 332 times)

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where did he go/come back?!
« on: Tuesday 23 April 19 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

I hope I'm posting in the right place.  I have a relative, Mark Liberty Head who I've found sailing from Southampton to New York on the SS Majestic on 4th April 1934.  According to the detail, he was a valet who lived at 28 Elm Road, East Sheen London before sailing and he was intending to live in Detroit with a niece.

I have him living back in the UK in the 1939 Register with his wife Ethel Susan Head in Devon and I even have his death registered in 1953 in Richmond.  Yet I can't find any record of him returning to the UK.  Is this because lots of records are lost or incorrect or is it me?

Thanks
Liz

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Where did he go/come back?!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Lost / not (yet) transcribed / took passage on a cargo vessel / smaller shipping line / hand written entries / foreign shipping line.  All of these are possible and more.

I have lots of relatives who must have "beamed across" from one continent to another.
Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, really frustrating though isn't it!  What with relatives pretending to be married and never actually doing so, then others using a tardis to come back across the Atlantic!  :D

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks, really frustrating though isn't it!  What with relatives pretending to be married and never actually doing so, then others using a tardis to come back across the Atlantic!  :D
Prime example, Liz - My family and I came back from Canada, via New York, on SS Ryndam of the Holland America Line. A Dutch shipping line. Although all the paperwork was in English it is stored somewhere in Holland, between the dykes and the clogs and the tulips! 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia