Author Topic: Family Tree Maker 2005  (Read 2036 times)

Offline silvereagle555

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker 2005
« on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been using Family Tree Maker 2005 for many years and I like it a lot. It has been running happily on a PC that is still using Windows XP, but earlier this week the PC locked up without any warning. For some reason there is no signal getting to the monitor.

A friend, who is an expert with PCs, is checking this out for me. He has confirmed all the data is okay and he has transferred copies to other storage devices - so no problem there.

It seems the problem may be motherboard related and the solution may be to replace it. That could mean getting a new OS.

Can anyone tell me please if FTM 2005 is compatible with Windows 7, 8 or 10?

Chris

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker 2005
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome. 

I don't think that it will work with 7, or 8. I am sure it will not work with 10. 

But on the positive side, it has been a nice bright day with a gentle breeze. 

Sorry 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:32 BST (UK) »
I use  FTM 2005 on Windows 7 but it has become a bit temperamental in the past although you can work round it.  I just make sure I back up each time I use it no matter how small the amount I input
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline silvereagle555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chas. Unfortunately it hasn't been a nice bright day here

Hello and welcome. 

I don't think that it will work with 7, or 8. I am sure it will not work with 10. 

But on the positive side, it has been a nice bright day with a gentle breeze. 

Sorry 

Regards 

Chas

Offline silvereagle555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:50 BST (UK) »
Could you clarify what you mean by a 'bit temperamental' please?

I use  FTM 2005 on Windows 7 but it has become a bit temperamental in the past although you can work round it.  I just make sure I back up each time I use it no matter how small the amount I input

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 19:14 BST (UK) »
I would recommend that you upgrade to the current version.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 20:11 BST (UK) »

When I select a file I get "not responding" for a while then the last file used appears.    If I then select another file - same wait etc

I used to also get a box in the middle of the screen telling me the ?? Amuni file was missing and I had to click out of that and start again.  It's been a while since I used it so have just had a go and that message has now disappeared but everything else is as described.  It works perfectly ok as regards input etc.

I bought FTM version 9 some years ago but did not like the changes they had made so much prefer to use Version 5   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline silvereagle555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole. Yes I prefer Version 5 as well.

Chris

When I select a file I get "not responding" for a while then the last file used appears.    If I then select another file - same wait etc

I used to also get a box in the middle of the screen telling me the ?? Amuni file was missing and I had to click out of that and start again.  It's been a while since I used it so have just had a go and that message has now disappeared but everything else is as described.  It works perfectly ok as regards input etc.

I bought FTM version 9 some years ago but did not like the changes they had made so much prefer to use Version 5

Offline jeanc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
I had FTM 6 on XP computer, when my XP was replaced with windows 10, I had FTM 15 bought for me. I didn't like the set-up to FTM 15, maybe as I had use to FTM 6. I know you're interested in FTM 5, I didn't expect FTM 6 to run on windows 10, I gave it a try (disc version) to my surprise it worked. I have been using it many years now with no problems.

Good luck.
JeanC