Author Topic: Problems with Ancestry DNA pages?  (Read 9214 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Ancestry DNA pages?
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 28 April 19 18:21 BST (UK) »
I think I've solved it on this machine - for the moment  :-X

After a lot of checks, I found that the latest version of Win 10 seems to not clear cookies in the usual way. 

I cleared by getting the cookie info by clicking on the i (info button)  in the address bar when in Ancestry. This gave me the option of clearing the cookies. I clicked on the first one. Went out of site and then came back in and logged in and ,lo and behold, it seems to be working!

Add - snip
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 29 April 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
How do I revert to the original set up i.e. out of Beta?

I must have been far too laid back about this yesterday - they've had ages to put it right but, from what others on here have said, all they seem to do is advise us to clear our cache (I don't know what this means but am assuming - to us dinosaurs who don't understand computer-speak - it means delete such things as temporary files, history, add ons etc.)

I've sent them a snotty email (which will probably go unanswered).I really did think this Beta set up was a good thing at first and even complimented them on their efforts to improve our experience but enough is enough and I now want to go back to the original until such time as they sort themselves out.  >:( >:(

However, I spent hours on the beta screen colour coding matching groups on three DNA accounts, so I don't want to lose that.

In my email to them, I even said that I'd considered buying a 4th test kit as they were on offer but that I'd shelved that idea because of the mess the DNA site is in. I don't suppose this multi million set up will care about that one iota.

Gosh, I know I'm venting but - really - they should be offering us all a rebate on our subscription charge: not just for the mess they're in but also for all our time spent trying this and trying that to make it work, as if it was all our fault!!

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 29 April 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
To get out of the all Beta, go to Extras on top bar, then click on Ancestry Labs, then change the enables to disables.

To get your profile back to old style, go to your profile and move the slider that comes up from Beta.

I'm now happy with it all, so good luck. I think mine was a rogue cookie that caused to probs.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 29 April 19 15:47 BST (UK) »
To get out of the all Beta, go to Extras on top bar, then click on Ancestry Labs, then change the enables to disables.

To get your profile back to old style, go to your profile and move the slider that comes up from Beta.

I'm now happy with it all, so good luck. I think mine was a rogue cookie that caused to probs.

Gadget

Ah well - true to form, I did as you suggested, got to the Ancestry Labs page and was confronted by 'something went wrong, please refresh the page' which I duly tried to do but it didn't want to know! I remember getting this far yesterday with the same outcome.

Plus, it won't let me into My Profile - I just get the 'secure connection failed' page!

Add this to 2 hours spent earlier today trying to sort out why British Gas wouldn't let me into my account, and I've just about had it with it all. perhaps if I was half my age I might understand it better but, as it is, it all seems to make life unnecessarily complicated.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 29 April 19 15:50 BST (UK) »
That's what I got, Jill.

Have a look at my solution:

I think I've solved it on this machine - for the moment  :-X

After a lot of checks, I found that the latest version of Win 10 seems to not clear cookies in the usual way. 

I cleared by getting the cookie info by clicking on the i (info button)  in the address bar when in Ancestry. This gave me the option of clearing the cookies. I clicked on the first one. Went out of site and then came back in and logged in and ,lo and behold, it seems to be working!

Add - snip

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 29 April 19 16:13 BST (UK) »
Gadget, I know this is all very tiresome but please bear with me.

I clicked on the i in the address bar but all I got was - www.ancestry.co.uk and a green padlock and, in green writing, 'secure connection' with a right-pointing arrow which, when clicked on, gives the same info with a left-pointing arrow!!! (I feel as if I'm in a Monty Python sketch!!)

It does give a 'more information' option which gives a list of cookies saved on my PC by this website - this is just the same as the ones I identified by looking into deleting individual cookies the other day but I really don't know which ones to delete and which to keep, worrying that I'll mess it up even more than it already is! It does at least tell me that it has saved passwords for the site, so that's comforting. Does this mean that I can go ahead and delete all the ancestry cookies and still be able to access the site afterwards?

Where's my slate and chalk....  :'(
HELP!!!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 29 April 19 16:18 BST (UK) »
Gadget, If only things were so simple for me as well as Jill!

Tried your solution. I now have 5 first cousins all with the same name, 5 first to second cousins with the same name, 5 third cousins x 2 with the same names.

All repeated in a continuous loop.

Give me strength. (and don't tell Ancestry it's due to cookies at your end, Gadget, it's what they've been telling us all for a while!!!!!)

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 29 April 19 16:31 BST (UK) »
That makes me a feel just a little less useless, Margaret, knowing I am not alone! I also have those duplicated (triplicated etc) names.

I have had the automatic acknowlegement of the email I sent Ancestry earlier today but I don't really expect a quick reply.

With Gadget coming up with her own solution, cookies-wise, I felt it was my fault and I was doing something wrong but perhaps I was right to begin with and should just hope that they will eventually sort out this mess and let us get back to normal.

Its all so bloomin' time consuming as well. I've done very little else today other than get myself into a frazzle over technological things I don't understand.

And ...calm!!!  8)
HELP!!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 29 April 19 16:39 BST (UK) »
I've never had your duplication, Margaret. It sounds not at all nice.

My main problem was to do with profiles, which I've now solved.

Jill, I wish I could talk you through it or come and sort it out for you  :-\

I've attached a snip of what I get when I click on the i in the Ancestry address bar.

At the bottom of the drop down there is a 'Clear Cookies and site data' which I've marked with red arrows.  If you click on that, you can then clear them.

You'll then need to log out and then log in again .

Let me know if that works.

Gadget