Author Topic: Mary Ann Buckley b1821 in Cork  (Read 4602 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Buckley b1821 in Cork
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:53 BST (UK) »
Dates and location of death, and cause of death match up. I hadn't seen that one, or the April 10th notice, but again dates and location match :)
I have the inquest details.

It seems that once they get to Aus I have a good trail for them, it's before they got here that is such a mystery!

How do you know that that James was the husband of Mary BUCKLEY? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:57 BST (UK) »
Oh wait, I do have an image of the certificate -
Not sure how to post it here, but transcribed as follows:
No. 236 I Mary Buckley do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Roman Catholic Church. I RB G**ghogan of Melbourne Minister of St. Francis' Church do hereby certify that James Watson of Ship Mary Nixon and Mary Buckley of Melbourne were joined together in Wedlock in the Presence of James Bentley and Mary ** both *** Witnesses, James Buckley and May Kinneley *** 35392.

So I do have some witness names. Now what on earth do I do with them!?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 April 19 07:39 BST (UK) »
Assuming the witness, James BUCKLEY,  is possibly brother of the bride,  will give you another avenue to search for info about his  origins .... did he marry,  who witnessed,  did he did in Victoria ... perhaps there may be parents named on his d.c.... or perhaps his m.c. was after civil rego started in Vic ... what first hand info did he give .... all speculative but gathering info....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 April 19 07:48 BST (UK) »
Can I just say you are all wonderful! Thank you so much for helping me.

I'm feeling pretty confident that the Mary Nixon is the correct ship that she arrived on. Her brother James also appears on the manifest. (However there is a James on the Portland too!)

Any ideas on how I can better nail down her parents given what information I do have?
I have two potential sets of parents based on baptism records in Cork.
Either Denis Buckley and Mary Hogan, or Jerh Buckley and Cathe Connor.

How can I get any further clarity on this?

If it's not obvious, I'm fairly new to this game.

By checking to see if one married in Ireland...... or both   ;D

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 19 08:00 BST (UK) »

Baptism results for Mary Buckley from 1820 to 1822 Area - CORK & ROSS (RC)

Displaying results  102. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01npa/

Baptism results for Mary Buckley from 1821 to 1821  Area - CORK & ROSS (RC)

Displaying results 26.   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01npb/

______________________________-

Marriage results for Mary Buckley from 1838 to 1845    Area - CORK & ROSS (RC)

Displaying results   29. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01np9/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 April 19 08:19 BST (UK) »
Assuming the witness, James BUCKLEY,  is possibly brother of the bride,  will give you another avenue to search for info about his  origins .... did he marry,  who witnessed,  did he did in Victoria ... perhaps there may be parents named on his d.c.... or perhaps his m.c. was after civil rego started in Vic ... what first hand info did he give .... all speculative but gathering info....

JM

Worth checking if one knew his Birth Year.......

then go to https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ and see if you find matching parents.

You might get e.g 4  then look on same site for Marriages about 20 yrs later.... even if you ended up with one set of siblings...How will you know they are yours??

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 April 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5316/4_4814/Mary%20Nixon_30%20Nov%201841/4_481400106.jpg&No=3  Single Males  (Single females start on page 4)

James BUCKLEY aged 23, farm servant, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, native of Cork per the vessel ‘Mary Nixon’, on same voyage as Mary BUCKLEY,  aged 20, General Servant, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, native of Cork.   Both the Buckleys were landed for  Mr Jonathan B Were, of Melbourne, - he ‘imported’ the Bounty passengers on that voyage which landed them at Melbourne 30 November 1841.     

There was no James BUCKLEY on the Portland,  the single man BUCKLEY chap was Francis. 

So if the James BUCKLEY witness to Mary BUCKLEY's marriage in 1842 was her brother, then it is likely they arrived on the same ship as each other.    If Mary's husband also arrived on the same ship, then the transcription of that 1842 marriage gives the ship of arrival as the Mary Nixon.  The reason for noting the ship of arrival on the m.c. would be to provide a paper trail for the Superintendent of Convicts, because if a person was still under a bond, in NSW (and this Port Philip District was still part of the territory of NSW in the 1840s) then that person needed permission of the Governor of NSW to marry.   By the clergy recording his ship of arrival, we learn that that chap was NOT under any conviction, but in the 21st century we can notice that ship of arrival and start to consider possibles.

JM

ADD, and as Bounty passengers, they would likely have been engaged for a specific period of time, so perhaps if brother and sister they would have been able to keep in contact (read and write) and see each other from time to time too...

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 April 19 09:16 BST (UK) »
From the other thread ....

BDM TAS birth
WATSON Ellen Matilda  17 Jul 1854
parents James WATSON (shipwright) / Mary Ann formerly BUCKLEY
Informant Charlotte WATSON, Gaol St, sister
Registered 21 Aug 1854  Launceston

Here is the digitised image supporting that :  https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD33-1-32p303j2k
Free to search at  https://libraries.tas.gov.au/enterprise-help/Pages/names-index.aspx

Ellen was mentioned as a possible name for Mary's Mum, and I note that Mary is recorded there as Mary Ann,  :)  all speculative, but also pointing towards possibles  :)

JM

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 April 19 09:17 BST (UK) »

So that gets you 4 Baptisms  James BUCKLEY  ...  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01npc/