Author Topic: Jean Cameron (nee McEachern) - can't find death record.  (Read 767 times)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jean Cameron (nee McEachern) - can't find death record.
« on: Thursday 25 April 19 04:08 BST (UK) »
Having trouble finding a death record for JEAN CAMERON (nee McEachern).  Born approx 1808 in Morvern and died before 1859 as husband, Alexander Cameron, remarried a Mary Clark in the same year.  Jean is last showing on the 1851 census as living in Bunavulin.  (1841 census gives same details but shows DOB as 1811). Alexander was the Parish schoolmaster there for many years.  I believe Jean's parents to be Hugh McEachern & Marjory Cameron.  Jean and Alexander had a daughter Catherine who was my Great grandmother x 2.   Catherine died in Glasgow in 1862 but parents are listed as unknown on death certificate so no clues there. (Verified Alexander and Jean as being Catherine's parents through other relatives, census etc.) Have tried all name combinations for Jean (or Jane) in SP but to no avail. If she died before 1855 then possibly may not be a record. 

Also, some time ago, I found a photo of headstone and inscription for Alexander but for the life of me can no longer find it! I was sure he was buried in Kiel Cemetery, Argyll and I copied the inscription but unfortunately didn't get all of it: '1879', 'Erected by Mary Clark his widow by a second marriage and by his brother Donald. In Memory of Alexander Cameron who died 17th December 1877 in his 77th year and who for a lengthend period discharged ......'  (rest of it was something to do with his role as schoolmaster from what I remember). I was pretty sure the photo was from Ralston genealogy pages but have contacted the site owner and he couldn't find it either.  Thought the inscription may have given a clue to Jean's date of death.

Any help much appreciated!
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Cameron (nee McEachern) - can't find death record.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 10:07 BST (UK) »
There is one JANE CAMERON Statutory Deaths on SP about the right age?

Age 48 KIDDIE died 1856 Kilmore and Kilbride Landward but looks unlikely.

There are very few death records pre-1855 in Argyll.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Cameron (nee McEachern) - can't find death record.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 19 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin,
Checked that record and unfortunately not her!
I think that she probably died before 1855 and hence no record.
Regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies