Author Topic: JOHN HENRY SMITH  (Read 1030 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
JOHN HENRY SMITH
« on: Saturday 27 April 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone can give me some ideas where to look!!
My great grandfather John Henry Smith was born 1850 in Huddersfield. A few years ago I found his marriage, which had been my brick wall for about 15 years!!! (Found a newspaper report from Australia with his brother's death reported - as he had married a much younger girl one day, and dropped dead the next!! Turns out John Henry married his sister-in-law!)
Anyway, I have John on the censuses until 1911, in Huddersfield, Cleckheaton and later Hull. I have him in 1916 in Hull Trade & Proffessional Directory - he was a saddler. But then no more.
I have been trying for many years to find his death.
Now I have a death certificate for a John Henry Smith who died 1942 in Hessle (just outside Hull). The birth date is correct, but even with a middle name, it is still a John Smith! Occupation is a Sub-postmaster. Someone suggested that may be an occupation a retired or semi-retired person may do?
Has anyone any ideas how I may find out where my John Henry Smith was after 1916. If I could track his whereabouts, I maybe could prove or disprove this death certificate being his.

I knocked down one brick wall of his after a number of years' Maybe I can do it again??
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN HENRY SMITH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
A few years ago I found his marriage, which had been my brick wall for about 15 years!!! (Found a newspaper report from Australia with his brother's death reported - as he had married a much younger girl one day, and dropped dead the next!! Turns out John Henry married his sister-in-law!)

If his brother died in Australia and John Henry married his widow - where did that marriage take place and when?  What was the widows name and was she born in Oz or elsewhere?  The 1911 entry you mention has a wife born in Sheffield who also appears with him on the 1901 entry.  Married 33yrs - 1877

Now I have a death certificate for a John Henry Smith who died 1942 in Hessle (just outside Hull). The birth date is correct, but even with a middle name, it is still a John Smith! Occupation is a Sub-postmaster. Someone suggested that may be an occupation a retired or semi-retired person may do?

Only died 1942 so should be on the 1939 register - have you checked him out?  Shown as John H Smith whereas the 1901/1911 entries are just John Smith
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 19 17:08 BST (UK) »
You say the birth date is correct on the 1942 death cert but full birth dates were not shown on death certs until 1969.

Do you mean his birth year is correct?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 19 17:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry, didn't make myself very clear. My John  Smith was married in Birstall, Yorkshire.  The news about his brother's  death was reported in an Australian newspaper. (Not sure why. They obviously  thought it newsworthy) His wife was Hannah Smith nee Hodge.
The 1942 death certificate gives the age as 92 yrs. So he was born 1850, as was my great grandfather
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
My John  Smith was married in Birstall, Yorkshire.  The news about his brother's  death was reported in an Australian newspaper. (Not sure why. They obviously  thought it newsworthy) His wife was Hannah Smith nee Hodge.

The John Smith/Hannah Smith marriage was 1876 and he has no middle name. It was in the Wharfedale RD

Turns out John Henry married his sister-in-law!)

1901 shows Hannah born 1857 so she was 19 in 1876 which means she must have married John's brother before 1876

I cannot see a Hannah Hodge marriage to a Smith but the births of children on the 1901 with John & Hannah do show mmn as Hodge

Does the 1876 marriage cert show her as a widow?

Have you looked at the 1939 entry I mentioned?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
When you have viewed the 1939 entry - take a look at this 1901 entry

RG13 Piece 4504 Folio 131 Page 5

This death

Frances Barbara Smith   75 Birth 19 Aug 1893
Registration Date:    June qtr 1969  Holderness
Volume    2a
Page   222

This birth - mmn Cameron

Births September qtr 1893   
Smith    Frances Barbara Hull    9d   303

If you are absolutely certain your John Henry is the saddler - then you have the wrong death.

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 19 07:06 BST (UK) »
Looks like its back to the brick wall on this one.
This obviously is not my grandfather!
About 15 years ago my father told me he was told his grandfather died in Barrow in Furness. I was thrilled when I discovered a matching  death (strangely, also an automobile accident like my more recent find!). But that didn't  last long when I found that this John  Smith was in Barrow  for the 1901 census, when mine was still in Hull!!
Finding his marriage was a fluke, an absolute stroke of luck. Hopefully the same might occur for his death.
I just hoped if I could find him somewhere after 1911, I would know where to look for his death.
Back to the drawing board!!!

Is there any way to search the 1939 records without subscribing? At present, I am not a paying member of any site, as I have had my research on hold for a while. On sorting out a few things, i found this death certificate that i had not been able to prove or disprove. Just decided to take another look.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 19 14:36 BST (UK) »
1939 access is by subscription only.  Check with your local library - many have Ancestry access. 

If your John was born John Henry there is not a single census entry with his middle name which could mean that any death entry will just be as John

There is a Dec qtr 1877 marriage in Doncaster which has William Parkinson Smith & Hannah Hodge on the same page and a death in Dec qtr 1877 for William aged 32 in Sheffield

This means the 1876 marriage cannot be the right one so presumably it’s the Dec 1878 in Dewsbury but again - he is just John Smith

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 April 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Marriage 14.10.1878 Birstall

John Smith - 29 - bachelor - Saddler.   Father John- joiner
Hannah Smith - widow - 23 - father John Hodge - farmer