Author Topic: Thomas GELL (bn 1594) - What was his wife Elizabeth's maiden name  (Read 1187 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas GELL (bn 1594) - What was his wife Elizabeth's maiden name
« on: Saturday 27 April 19 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know the maiden name of the wife of Thomas GELL (born 1594)? He belonged to the GELL family from the Hopton, Carsington and Wirksworth area.
His elder brother became Sir John GELL, the 1st Baronet.

The wife of 'this' Thomas was possibly called Elizabeth, and they had a number of children, the second of whom was Mary GELL (born 1615). I can only 'estimate' a marriage somewhere around 1613 but I really am not sure about that. They did marry young in those days didn't they! Mary GELL apparently married a Thomas NADIN in 1639. Mary and Thomas would be my 9x Great Grandparents.

Apparently Thomas Gell's wife was likely called Elizabeth, I cannot however find any reliable indication of Mary's mother's maiden name anywhere. Are there any GELL researchers out there who might be able to help?

Yours hopefully,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas GELL (bn 1594) - What was his wife Elizabeth's maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
For all there is on him and his family no one knows his wifes maiden  name.:(
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
From "The Reliquary, Vol. 11, p 225) :

Thomas Gell, Barrister-at-Law, M.P., Recorder of Derby and Lieut.-Col. of his brother's Regt.; commission dated 10 Nov. 1642 (his commission from Earl of Essex is dated 22 Sept. 1642); bp. at Carsington 20 Sept. 1594 (?), bur. at Wirksworth 3 April 1656, coelebs.

I may be wrong, but I thought "coelebs" meant unmarried.

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 20:43 BST (UK) »
For all there is on him and his family no one knows his wifes maiden  name.:(

I can't disagree with that, so don't know whether she was a local lass or from further afield. No clues so far in any local church records. Ah well, I guess I just have to keep looking  :) Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Alan

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 20:59 BST (UK) »
From "The Reliquary, Vol. 11, p 225) :

Thomas Gell, Barrister-at-Law, M.P., Recorder of Derby and Lieut.-Col. of his brother's Regt.; commission dated 10 Nov. 1642 (his commission from Earl of Essex is dated 22 Sept. 1642); bp. at Carsington 20 Sept. 1594 (?), bur. at Wirksworth 3 April 1656, coelebs.

I may be wrong, but I thought "coelebs" meant unmarried.

I noted that on something else I looked at, following receipt of your reply, "coelebs" could possibly refer to unmarried as you suggest, but may possibly be used to describe a 'widower'. That being the case, there is a record that I have seen where an 'Elizabeth GELL' wife of 'Thomas GELL' was buried 26 Jan 1640. Thomas himself didn't die till 1656, so if these two were the same Elizabeth and Thomas, 'coelebs' would still be appropriate. I guess that I need to check the birth years of any children I can find, just in case it helps to rule in, or rule out, this Elizabeth and Thomas.

Thanks for the helpful comment.

Regards.

Alan