Author Topic: Jose Wilkes/Wilks in Levisham  (Read 1071 times)

Offline treesquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jose Wilkes/Wilks in Levisham
« on: Sunday 28 April 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am trying to find the family of my ancestor Jose Wilkes. Her name is spelt Jese, Josey, Jose. Wilkes can be Wilks.
Could Jose be short for Josephine?

Here is what I know so far;

1798 19 Feb; marriage at Whitby st Mary the virgin to Robert Harrison, a schoolmaster. Jose is recorded as from the parish of Levisham, Robert from church parish.

1799 9 Jan; baptism of son Robert Harrison in Sleights, Eskdaleside parish register. Schoolmaster mentioned again.

1799 20 Apr; burial of Robert Harrison (senior) schoolmaster, recorded as Sleights.Eskdaleside parish register

1800 10 Dec burial of Jose Harrison Widow, recorded as Levisham. Eskdaleside parish register.

Sad story I know :-(

So I am trying to find out more about what happened to their son Robert Harrison (Bapt 1799)

I have tried to find Jose's baptism hoping to find her parents or siblings, as they maybe took 1year old Robert in when both his parents died.
I am also looking for Robert Harrison seniors parents, no look as yet, in case they took the young child in.

I do have Robert junior's marriage to Mary Ruston in 1824, Allerston and all his family from then on. But nothing from before his marriage. His first 5 children were born in Allerston between 1823-1830ish

He did become a schoolmaster himself, following in the footsteps of his father so I would think he would have kept a family connection to be able to do that????

He was living in Seamer by 1833 and I know from a directory that he was a schoolmaster there by 1840 at the latest. He remained a schoolmaster in seamer until his death in 1877.

In 1814 a school and dwelling house was built by lord of manor. Prob J W Denison esq in Seamer.

Any help or pointers in another direction I hadn't considered would be much appreciated :-)
Thank you
Atkinson-Durham
Blake - Seamer & Appleton Le Street
Bracewell, Cowling, Dixon, Edmond, King - Scarborough
Bowes, Dawson, Swaddale -Seamer
Harrison- Seamer & Sleights
Nesfield - Folkton/Flixton
Davis & Pecks- Hertfordshire, Wheathampstead
East-Hertfordshire, especially Wheathampstead
Saunders- Hertfordshire
Calvert- Kilmarnock, Scotland. Massachusetts, US. Newfoundland.
Murdoch-Kilmarnock, Scotland
Smallwood-Bridlington
McIntosh- Bute, Scotland.
Neustadter-Austria & Manhattan

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jose Wilkes/Wilks in Levisham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
A difficult one but a few thoughts i had
There is a Josey Wilkes buried 25 July 1818 at Levisham  born 1739. of Goathland
Could she be Jose's mother?

Possible marriage John Wilks farmer and Joyce Harland of Middleton at Levisham 18.7.1763
wit William Esdale and William Poad.

I can't see any baptisms online for Levisham in the 1770's 80's  for Wilkes.

As for Robert Senior .I'd be tempted to order the PCY Will of Robert Harrison of 1781 in Whitby
There was a baptism in 1767 of Robert Harrison to Robert and Esther  a sailor but of course there was one 1764 to John Harrison a sawyer as well.Quite a few PCY wills for John Harrison of Whitby.

I'll see what else I can find.

Ciderdrinker

Offline treesquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jose Wilkes/Wilks in Levisham
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ciderdrinker.

That is quite possibly her mother, the dates seem to fit. I will follow that lead and see where it goes.

Marriage could be worth a look too. I wonder Jose could be a pet name for Joyce, or even a different spelling, as Jose and Joyc-e sound very similar.

Yes, I looked at Levisham for baptisms in that era and no look. I even went through each page of the parish records online incase the transcribers had missed something.

There were a few burials;
1773; burial of Elizabeth wife of Robert Wilks
1778; burial Robert Wilks of Newton Dale
1785; burial Jeremy Wilks

I think I will look further into that Will too.

Thank you :-)

Atkinson-Durham
Blake - Seamer & Appleton Le Street
Bracewell, Cowling, Dixon, Edmond, King - Scarborough
Bowes, Dawson, Swaddale -Seamer
Harrison- Seamer & Sleights
Nesfield - Folkton/Flixton
Davis & Pecks- Hertfordshire, Wheathampstead
East-Hertfordshire, especially Wheathampstead
Saunders- Hertfordshire
Calvert- Kilmarnock, Scotland. Massachusetts, US. Newfoundland.
Murdoch-Kilmarnock, Scotland
Smallwood-Bridlington
McIntosh- Bute, Scotland.
Neustadter-Austria & Manhattan