Author Topic: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!  (Read 5559 times)

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 April 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
1871 census: RG10/230/42/6

36 Camden Rd, Camden Town

William J Adams Head Mar 23 Heraldic stamper Westminster
Kate do Wife Mar 22 Melksham Wiltshire

Thank you so much for this, I've never come across it. But when I search for the reference number on ancestry it doesn't come up with anything. Is there another way to view it?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 April 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
You could just search for Kate Adams b abt 1849 Melksham, living in Camden Town.

But she should come up in your list of results if you enter the reference details correctly in the 1871 England census search form:

Piece: 230
Folio: 42
Page: 6
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 April 19 22:56 BST (UK) »
What happened to your Florence Louise Adams in later life?  Did she survive to appear in the 1939 Register, and if so does it confirm that her birthdate was 9 June 1871?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 April 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
You could just search for Kate Adams b abt 1849 Melksham, living in Camden Town.

But she should come up in your list of results if you enter the reference details correctly in the 1871 England census search form:

Piece: 230
Folio: 42
Page: 6

Found it! Thanks so much. Next conundrum: what occupation is a 'Heraldic Stamper'?!

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 April 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
What happened to your Florence Louise Adams in later life?  Did she survive to appear in the 1939 Register, and if so does it confirm that her birthdate was 9 June 1871?

She married a George Staniforth in Portsmouth and then they moved to Hull. She died in 1942, but I can't find her in the 1939 Register.

But pretty confident that June 1971 in Camden is the right Florence. There were only a handful of Florence L Adams born around that time and she's the only one with a Wiltshire connection, and my grandmother and her sister both told me that's where their gran came from. I just wasn't convinced I'd pieced together her early years properly - and that's because I hadn't!

Thanks so much for everyone's help! I've spent months on this and you've cleared it up for me in less than 24 hours!

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 April 19 08:58 BST (UK) »
Except this Richards family don't have a daughter called 'Kate', nor sister nor niece (Florence is listed as the niece of the head of the family).
'
They do actually but she is only 13 in the 1881 census.

Henry Richards    59
Ester Richards    57
Ellen Richards    22
Henry Richards    17
Kate Richards    13
Florence Adams 10 niece.

I wonder if an older sister may have 'borrowed' the younger sister's name?

There was a theory that another descendent had that 'Kate' was actually Jane - and there are two Janes in the Richards family of Melksham that were cousins and born a couple of years apart, so would make sense if one of them had a nickname so as to avoid confusion. So I'm starting to think that the Jane living in Chelsea in the 1871 census that I originally thought was Florence's mum was actually her mum's cousin.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:07 BST (UK) »
She is in the 1939.  Birth date is one week earlier than the baptism stated, so someone goofed up on the baptism or whoever supplied her birth date for the '39.
Her daughter (?) is listed as the 9th, maybe they mixed them up and she should be the 2nd.

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:12 BST (UK) »
She is in the 1939.  Birth date is one week earlier than the baptism stated, so someone goofed up on the baptism or whoever supplied her birth date for the '39.
Her daughter (?) is listed as the 9th, maybe they mixed them up and she should be the 2nd.

How did you find her? I'm using Ancestry and if I search for 'Florence Staniforth' and her birth year I get nothing! (I find the Ancestry search system pretty unreliable, to be honest).

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:18 BST (UK) »

Also - 2nd June is the date on her birth cert. And her birth was registered 3 weeks before she was baptised, so think the baptism record is wrong.