Author Topic: Cholera  (Read 942 times)

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cholera
« on: Tuesday 30 April 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the cholera epidemic that hit north shields in 1849 one of my relations was a victim of it and I would like to know where they were buried and any info anyone an direct me to there doesn't seem to be much information around thanks in anticipation
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cholera
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
Google Northumberland Archives,there is info on that site.
Best of Luck .
Viktoria.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 00:08 BST (UK) »
There is a book that describes the epidemics of the 19th century in England, but the name escapes me.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 06:51 BST (UK) »
597 articles for 1849. (Some are duplicates)

Eg

The Cholera in Newcastle.—The cholera seems to have been on the increase during the week, The returns of the Union medical officers show an aggregate of fourteen fatal cases, besides great number who are recovering. The Board of Guardians, in obedience
01 September 1849 - Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury - Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

PROGRESS OF THE CHOLERA. THE METROPOLIS. The Gazette of Friday night contains returns of the cholera cases reported to the General Board of Health from the date of the notification made on the 11th June of the renewed attack, since the cessation in the
21 July 1849 - Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury - Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

THE CHOLERA. Several cases of choiera are reported in the Registrar- General's Report as having recently occurred in some of the low aud unventilated localities the eastern part of the metropolis. The cases, however, are described as having occurred purely
07 July 1849 - Newcastle Journal - Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

QUININE AN ANTIDOTE TO CHOLERA. '. The following remarks on the beneficial influence of Quinine in cases of Cholera, art- from a letter written ■ William G. Maxwell, Medical Service, Madras, and dated Hydrabad, November 9, 1848:—" have seen the paroxysms
06 January 1849 - Newcastle Journal - Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

THE CHOLERA. The General Board Health have from time to time during the prevalence of the Cholera issued notices as to t ie prevention and treatment the disease, respect to which great uncertainty prevails among the medical profession. The following extract
25 August 1849 - Newcastle Journal - Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks all once again I will follow the advice up and see what materialises :)
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 19 06:52 BST (UK) »
A mass-grave sounds a likely outcome! so info might be hard to find.

Skoosh.