Author Topic: Family Tree Maker 17 - is there an app to view FTM trees on an Android tablet?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Rootschatters,

I have been using FTM since I first got a free copy with a computer magazine more than 20 years ago. I've been upgrading all that time and now use FTM 17. I've been given a new Android tablet and would like to be able to view my trees on that. I've tried a couple of apps but none are exactly what I want. I used to have Gedview on my iPod and Family Bee on an old tablet but neither of those seem to exist any more. Neither was perfect but at least I knew them!

* I'm happy to pay for an app that can do what I want, if such a thing exists.
* I don't need to be able to edit or sync files on the tablet, just view.
* Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the profile photos from my FTM file transfer across to the app.

There are a couple of apps available that have "Family Tree Maker GTG" in their names but they don't seem to be connected with FTM. I don't have my tree online anywhere so I don't want to use the Ancestry app or any of the other websites that demand you upload your tree before being able to get it onto your tablet or phone. I've tried GedStar, which involves using their converter on your laptop and then transferring the file to the tablet, but the photos don't come with the information.

Once again I bow to the collective vast knowledge of Rootschatters - thank you.

Eve

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker 17 - is there an app to view FTM trees on an Android tablet?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 May 19 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
"Most" movements of data involve gedcom files.     
Gedcom files, by definition, contain no media ( fotos/docs, etc.. )
[ Although some tree software applications do have "local" variations ].     

The two main options would seem to be
1) convert gedcom via gedxlate to eg a spreadsheet
 2) import gedcom into tree display as per your earlier mention, or ZOOMPAST.     

With a fair amount of effort, you could load all your media into a distinctly separate folder to display as a folder full of fotos, appending descriptions as you go, or renaming as you go.     

Ray     

I for one would appreciate knowledge of other approaches.     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker 17 - is there an app to view FTM trees on an Android tablet?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Ray - I suspected that the nature of a gedcom file would not allow images. The only apps that seem to have images are the ones that come from files already on the internet at Ancestry etc. I'm quite happy just with information though. I'll look into those options you mention and post back here if I find a solution. Cheers, and thanks again.

Eve

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 May 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
I use the Android app "Gedstar"   As said, you extract a GED file from your PC or whatever you use, and load that on to the tablet. The Gedstar program shows individuals, relationships, simple trees, and all personal details.  No images/photos as far as I know - but it's great to have your tree available on your phone, when you need a name or date.   No data input via Gedstar - it's a read-only program for your data.  I have no relationship with the company.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 19 10:16 BST (UK) »
I use Family Tree Maker GTG, and even paid for the full version. It supports the photos. Treeview is worth looking at, and Zoompast online works OK if you open the tree while you have an Internet connection.
Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
The most efficient option is the one you ruled out in your initial post. Upload your tree to a free account at Ancestry and set it to synch with FTM. If you are concerned about anyone seeing the online version you can set it to private.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn