Author Topic: Harry Morris Born 12 September 1886  (Read 5184 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Morris Born 12 September 1886
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
He was age 22 years -5ft 5 1/2 -Brown Hair.  Place of birth Sheffield Religion Jew. Occ Tailor.
It was for Bastardy arrears and his sentence was 35 days or £9.6s.6d.  He probably paid up  ;D

I have lost track with him a bit, where was he in 1911.  Does the census say he was single
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie. Thanks for the support. It is all maybes really.. Noted that he is described as birthplace of Sheffield but in fact he was actually born in Cheetham, Manchester..

In the 1911 Census I have struggled to find him but again a maybe? for the 1911 census there is a Harry Morris age 24 listed as a prisoner in Cheetham prison listed as a Hotel Worker .. another maybe only

If it was him and a big maybe then as he is single in 1911, his marriage to someone else would be between 1911 and 1931 as he marries Ethel Cohen in 1932 listed as Widdower

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 08 August 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay, I keep looking at this but am not seeing anything we have missed. 

It may be that you will have to wait until the 1921 census is released to confirm if he was married by then.   

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 09 August 19 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Yes A hard basket..
I am sure that he was in Scotland Aberdeen area about 1920/21 and with his profession as a Film Renter / Traveller not sure where this would have taken him over the UK and when this travelling started as a career .. Ifs and buts
I hear u on the 1921 census.. I think a lot of people are waiting now Rosie..
Thank you very much for all your help Rosie and a fair few others.. A great Forum site that I rate very highly.
Keep well
Best wishes
Scott

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 05 October 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
This thread has been referred to in the thread at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=819642.0 - rather than letting that one veer too far into Harry Morris, I'm replying here.

No-one has mentioned it yet, but I suggest you have a look at Lancashire BMD - http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Not all counties have a site like this, but where they do, they sometimes give you more information than the GRO does. This is especially true for marriages, where you get the spouse's full name and the place of marriage.

So I've just done a marriage search for Harry Morris in the years 1900-1932 (whole county), which produced 68 results in total. Of these, I thought 7 appeared to be in the Jewish faith: these include Harry's marriage in 1932 to Ethel Cohen, so there would be 6 earlier ones, any one of which could be his.

The information from this site should help you to look into possible children, using surname plus mother's maiden name - FreeBMD is probably the place to check first, but you might as well check Lancashire BMD too. And having the spouses' first names might also help you to find the death of his first wife.

One further thought - the number of marriages for a Harry Morris on that site suggests it wasn't a particularly uncommon name - and this was just Lancashire - so I'd be very cautious about assuming yours was one of the ones found in prison records unless you can find further evidence.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 06 October 19 02:46 BST (UK) »
Thank u Arthur certainly a better wed site with better flex much easier to identify a Jewish marriage.. Like yourself I pick out maybe 7 marriages.. Playing on ancestry now to see if this offers any further leads .. Good support ..Thank u again
Regards
Scott

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 06 October 19 10:40 BST (UK) »
If you find a likely marriage and want to order a certificate, bear in mind that you can specify Harry's father's name as part of your application.

In this kind of case the fee you pay covers a search for a few years either side, and if they can't find an entry with the right father you'll get some or all of your money back. You'd need to check the GRO and Lancashire BMD/local registrar's sites for details - I think their policies may differ.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi team, Harry Houdini is maybe a better name .. I share a marriage that has caught my eye.. I think the 4 marriage listings are the same marriage?
Now we know that Harry marries a second time in 1932 to Ethel Cohen -- Harry is a widower .. I found a possible death of Rebecca Levy in Leeds district on 1929 age 43 (born abt 1886) which is the same age as Harry at this stage

Asking for a little help here if there is some substance to what I am seeing.. anybody got any other links / leads that may help to firm up what I think I have ..
I may have to just snap up these certs .. which is fine .. I would just rather be a bit more confident..

I hope there is no copyright concern of my posting ..happy to remove if so..
Thanks team
Regards
Scott

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 13:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, they look as though they're the same marriage. I think (but am not 100% certain) that local register office reference numbers are unique to a marriage, whereas with the GRO they apply to all the ones on a particular page.

If you apply for a certificate by post using the form on the Lancashire BMD site you can add qualifying information, such as a father's name (as I mentioned above), and in this case you might also add something to the effect that you're aware from the index that Eva might also have been known as Rebecca. I haven't been through the online order process here, but I suspect that too will give you the opportunity to add this kind of thing.

Incidentally, the GRO index supports the idea that Eva was the same person as Rebecca. Usually there are two marriages to a page/reference number, so 4 names, but in this case there are 5, with Eva and Rebecca both being shown as having a spouse's surname of Morris.