Author Topic: Harry Morris Born 12 September 1886  (Read 5191 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Morris Born 12 September 1886
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
His first wifes death should be under the surname Morris, not Levy.  The GRO index does indicate that when she married she was known as Eva & Rebecca.

Have you noticed the possible child born to that couple in 1924.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, Thanks for coming in. To confirm I did snap up that Cert but it was not a hit..
There is another thread as it happens that crosses with this one. Harry had a couple of brothers that I was trying to understand more of however that thread crossed into Harry again

See below link that compliments this Thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=812410.0

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
Just in summary from the previous post here are some of the leads that came about from the generous help offered.
Thanks to all involved.. There are a couple of others certs not listed that are withheld due to possible still living ..
I have ordered all these certs and will update accordingly when they arrive

Male Morris (Possible child to second marriage of Ethel nee Cohen)
Birth Certificate 
Morris Research
Year 1932 
Details withheld due to possible still living

Female Morris (possible child to second marriage of Ethel nee Cohen)
Birth Certificate 
Morris Research
Year1934 
Details withheld due to possible still living

Jane Nettie Morris (possible daughter of Harry)
Birth Certificate
Morris Research
Year 1916 
Sept  Cardiff  11a  852 

Jane Nettie Morris (Suspected daughter to Harry Morris marriage to husband Monty Seal)
Montefiore Seal
Marriage Certificate
Morris Research
Year 1938 
Sept 
Cardiff  11a  1014 

Harry Morris (Suspected marriage to first wife for Harry)
Bessie Sherman
Marriage Certificate
Morris Research
Year 1915 
Jun  Cardiff  11a  853 

Bessie Morris (Nee Sherman) Possible death (Suspected death of first wife of Harry)
Morris Research
Year 1924 
Mar  Chester  8a  595 

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 31 October 19 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi team,
Bessie Morris (Nee Sherman) - Suspected death of first wife of Harry
Morris Research
Year 1924 
Mar  Chester  8a  595 
Age 33
see death cert attached

The above death was a possible death of Bessie nee Sherman wife of Harry Morris
This is a hard one as Harrys wife Bessie Sherman in the 1901 and 1911 census suggests that she is born in 1891 and the above death register was a fair option. It looks questionable.. The actual certificate shares that the person was named Bessie Beckinsale Morris. In opinion, it looks an unusual middle name. Bessie comes from a Jewish family as does her husband .. Her death record reveals that she was suffering from TB for 2 years.. Understanding that the Sherman family from Cardiff seemed a close nit family with strong evidence of this closeness, it seems puzzling if this was our Bessie that she seems to have been abandoned.. I can understand to a degree with Harry being a Film Renter / traveller living far afield within his profession and do know that he was placed in Glasgow start of 1920 in a placement that may have went on till abt 1924 (This is noted in newspaper clippings) The Asylum is in Cheshire which is just close to Northern Wales. We know that the family are stationed in the Cardiff region.. Surprising that this Bessie`s death cert looks to acknowledge a husband but missing his forename.. Again like she was abandoned .. How sad .. My question to others and I seek help here on this puzzle. Is this Bessie Sherman born abt 1891 the wife of Harry Morris. Help ?
I wish to thank sincerely Roots chat member McKha489 who has been magnificent in supporting me off line to establish greater info on Harry Morris. His marriage to Bessie, his daughter Jane Nettie Morris, and other details.. This as well as others supporting.. I really am so grateful team..
I post after this one a timeline shaping up for Harry Morris..
Hope further assistance is out there to confirm this Bessie Sherman death ..
Best Regards
Scott Morland
NZ

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 31 October 19 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Harry Morris

BIRTH 12 SEP 1886 • Cheetham, Manchester, Lancashire, England
DEATH 14 SEP 1940 • Royal Infirmary, Manchester, Lancashire, England

•   1886 - Born in Cheetham / Manchester son to Benjamin Morris & Sarah Nee Kadish (From Lomza, Poland)
•   1891 - with family living in Leeds – 48 Concord Street, Leeds
•   1901 - with parents in Sheffield an Apprentice Tailor – No 14 No 1 Solly Street, Sheffield
•   1908 – 25th August Harry possibly sentenced to 3 days imprisonment or payment of £9 bastardy arrears - right age, occupation at the time and religion. Wakefield Prison
•   1911 - Can’t find.
•   1915 - Married Bessie SHERMAN in Cardiff    - Presume been there for at least a short while. Married in Registry office and profession at this moment in time is listed as Tailor
•   1916 – 8th August daughter Jean Nettie MORRIS is born, Harry listed as Traveller “Films” Looks like a new career has started for Harry. Birth registered by Bessie nee Sherman, family living at Beauchamp Street, Cardiff
•   1917 - October Harry is appointed to Midlands by THE FILM BUREAU (well known to exhibitors as he represented for some time BUTCHER’S FILM SERVICE)  (W. Butcher & Sons)     This is during WW1, available for appointment so presume Harry is not enlisted.
•   1920 - Jan 1st starts job in Glasgow with STOLL FILM COMPANY (having been ‘for many years the outside man here in South Wales for Messr’s Butcher’s Film Service).
•   1924 - December Returning to South Wales - Has been with FAMOUS LASKY previously with Butcher’s in Cardiff and Stolls in Glasgow.
•   1928 - September - leaves Cardiff to take up job with WARNERS in Manchester
•   1932 - 14 August  Marries Esther COHEN age 23  (Harry aged 45)
•   1938 - Marriage of Jean Nettie MORRIS to Montefiore SEAL at Cardiff Synagogue. Jean is given away by her uncle.  Lewis JACOBS (Husband to Adeline Sherman)
•   1939 - In Manchester with wife Esther and her parents. Is a Film Renter/Distributor
•   1940 - death of Harry in hospital Manchester
•   1945 - Esther remarries Solomon MASON

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi team, I wonder if there is a good search engine looking at Jewish cemeteries for Manchester. I am advised that Harry Morris is laid to rest in North Manchester. Could be Cheetham OR Salford

I am not familiar with the geographic aspects of Manchester.

Has anyone got access to a search function that may reveal Harry Morris who died on the 14 th September 1940 at the Royal Infirmary Hospital in Manchester.

Thankful for any further help

Regards
Scott

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi team,
Bessie Morris (Nee Sherman) - Suspected death of first wife of Harry
Morris Research
Year 1924 
Mar  Chester  8a  595 
Age 33
see death cert attached

The above death was a possible death of Bessie nee Sherman wife of Harry Morris
This is a hard one as Harrys wife Bessie Sherman in the 1901 and 1911 census suggests that she is born in 1891 and the above death register was a fair option. It looks questionable.. The actual certificate shares that the person was named Bessie Beckinsale Morris. In opinion, it looks an unusual middle name. Bessie comes from a Jewish family as does her husband .. Her death record reveals that she was suffering from TB for 2 years.. Understanding that the Sherman family from Cardiff seemed a close nit family with strong evidence of this closeness, it seems puzzling if this was our Bessie that she seems to have been abandoned.. I can understand to a degree with Harry being a Film Renter / traveller living far afield within his profession and do know that he was placed in Glasgow start of 1920 in a placement that may have went on till abt 1924 (This is noted in newspaper clippings) The Asylum is in Cheshire which is just close to Northern Wales. We know that the family are stationed in the Cardiff region.. Surprising that this Bessie`s death cert looks to acknowledge a husband but missing his forename.. Again like she was abandoned .. How sad .. My question to others and I seek help here on this puzzle. Is this Bessie Sherman born abt 1891 the wife of Harry Morris. Help ?
I wish to thank sincerely Roots chat member McKha489 who has been magnificent in supporting me off line to establish greater info on Harry Morris. His marriage to Bessie, his daughter Jane Nettie Morris, and other details.. This as well as others supporting.. I really am so grateful team..
I post after this one a timeline shaping up for Harry Morris..
Hope further assistance is out there to confirm this Bessie Sherman death ..
Best Regards
Scott Morland
NZ

Just revisiting this piece of history.. Sadly Bessie died in the Gorbals in Glasgow on the 8th March 1921, Apsley Place, Gorbals, Glasgow

Sadly it looks like Bessie was caught with the flu epidemic of this time in history and developed pneumonia.

Bessie is laid to rest in the Jewish Cemetery in Glasgow, Sandymount Cemetery