Author Topic: Henry LLOYD (Glove manufacturer) and Caroline Jane BESSELL  (Read 1372 times)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry LLOYD (Glove manufacturer) and Caroline Jane BESSELL
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 February 23 12:35 GMT (UK) »

May I just ask where you got the information that John was a glove manufacturer? There is an article in the London Morning Herald (21 Oct 1817) which mentions a 'John Lloyd of No. 5 Charles Street, Queen's Elms' but his occupation is given as 'plumber.' No other details provided; he was a witness in a court case.

Just noticed John Lloyd's wife, Charlotte, has her place of abode on the burial register as Charles Street, Queens Elm in 1837.

Seems John Lloyd may have indeed been a plumber in 1817 before he became a glover...

If I'm not pushing my luck, can anyone help me with his parents?? I'm curious why one of his daughters is called Alice Eliza Woof Lloyd. Could this be a reference to a maternal ancestor? Another daughter was Caroline Chipps Lloyd (her mother's maiden name).

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 February 23 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Will is under London Wills and probate on Ancestry

https://www.ancestrylibraryedition.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/350998:1704?_phsrc=vtg163&_phstart=successSource&gsfn=john&gsln=lloyd&ml_rpos=1&queryId=b4e78402333d72cdb6db8428f42eb082

John Lloyd
Probate Date:   31 Jul 1846
Parish:   St Luke Chelsea
County:   Middlesex

Hope that gets him for you

Ciderdrinker

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 February 23 15:53 GMT (UK) »
If I'm not pushing my luck, can anyone help me with his parents?? I'm curious why one of his daughters is called Alice Eliza Woof Lloyd. Could this be a reference to a maternal ancestor? Another daughter was Caroline Chipps Lloyd (her mother's maiden name).

Could you please list the names of all his children, as it might help us research (that being dependent on whether John & Charlotte followed traditional naming patterns).

I also just want to note that on the 1841 census, John's return says that he was not born in county, so we are looking for a birth outside of Middlesex.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 February 23 08:14 GMT (UK) »

Could you please list the names of all his children, as it might help us research (that being dependent on whether John & Charlotte followed traditional naming patterns).

I also just want to note that on the 1841 census, John's return says that he was not born in county, so we are looking for a birth outside of Middlesex.

Queenie  :)

John and Charlotte had the following children:
William John Lloyd born 26 Jan 1795 Westminster possibly died 1807 Margate, Kent??
Charlotte Lloyd born 6 Aug 1796 Westminster died?
Henry Lloyd bap 30 Sep 1798 St James Westminster m Caroline Jane Bessell 27 May 1822 died 18 Mar 1867 Geelong, Victoria
Mary Ann Lloyd born 23 May 1800 married James Jones 13 Jul 1817 died 1864 London
Eliza Alice Woof Lloyd bap 10 Jan 1804 St Luke Chelsea died 30 Dec 1878 Chelsea
Leonara Lloyd bap 8 Dec 1805 St Luke Chelsea died 1874 Chelsea
John Lloyd born 23 Jan 1808 Chelsea m Caroline Deacon 5 Nov 1830 died 25 April 1889 Richmond, Victoria
Caroline Chipps Lloyd bap 13 Feb 1811 died 1874 Wandsworth

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 February 23 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not having a lot of luck with John's parents
The couple were married at St Dunston in the West but as you know that was her parish.Her parents William and Elizabeth Chipps nee Wright coachmaker.
The witnesses don't help either -Giles Hanwell junior draper Chancery Lane 1762-1818 and Mary Harbottle born 1764 St Dunstan in the West d of John and Mary Harbottle cordwainer.

The first few children are baptised at St Annes Soho but LLoyd is a common name
I'd try and track down the Archives of the Glovers Guild and see if they can help with an apprenticeship etc which should give a father and location for his birth.

I did find a James LLoyd glover Paternoster Row 1802 ,Edward LLoyd glover PCC Will 1769 and John glover St Lukes Chelsea taking on apprentices 1735-42.
But that's not a lot of help

Ciderdrinker

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 February 23 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ciderdrinker, I sincerely appreciate all your help.

I wish I lived in England so I could do some research in person lol. It appears a lot of the records are still not online.

Anyway, I've sent off a couple of emails, so we'll see how that goes. Regardless, I've found out a lot more on this family in the last few days thanks to people like yourself on this wonderful site.