Author Topic: Henry LLOYD (Glove manufacturer) and Caroline Jane BESSELL  (Read 1371 times)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry LLOYD (Glove manufacturer) and Caroline Jane BESSELL
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 February 23 18:39 GMT (UK) »
John Lloyd (my 4th g grandfather) married Charlotte Hetty Chipps (1768-1837) 12 Feb 1793 St Dunstan's in the West. In 1841 he was living in Charles Street. The 1846 burial index had him residing at 5 Charles Street. Both buried at St Luke's Church, Chelsea. He was a glove manufacturer. I have not been able to determine his birth date or parents.

May I just ask where you got the information that John was a glove manufacturer? There is an article in the London Morning Herald (21 Oct 1817) which mentions a 'John Lloyd of No. 5 Charles Street, Queen's Elms' but his occupation is given as 'plumber.' No other details provided; he was a witness in a court case.

Queenie  :)

Edit: If John Lloyd was a glove manufacturer, then the burial in 1846 might be a different man. Unless there are 2 different Charles Streets in London?
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 February 23 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you access to the newspapers.

This from the OCR. (My screen shot is too large to attach)

AT a MEETING of the MANUFACTURERS of KID _ and other LEATHER GLOVES, held at the Crown and Anchor Tavern, Dec. 9, 5831, HENRY LLOYD in the Chair, Resolved unanimously,—That this Meeting has viewed for a long time past with the most serious alarm the c
14 December 1831 - Morning Herald (London)

It also mentions Mr Lloyd snr.

Added

However a follow up piece

At a Meeting of the London Glove Manufacturers, con- vened at the Baptist's Head Coffee House, on Monday, 26th March, 18J_, for the purpose of receiving a Report from the Committee appointed to watch over proceedings in Parliament relative
31 March 1832 - Morning Post - London, London, England

Has Henry Lloyd (the chairman) as Henry junior.

So is there another Henry Lloyd a glove manufacturer?

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 February 23 05:15 GMT (UK) »
John Lloyd's occupation as glove manufacturer was on Henry Lloyd's death certificate, which of course, could just be heresay, but that's where I got it from. In 1841, his occupation is just listed as Independant.

I believe it was 5 Charles Street they were living, as his wife, Charlotte Hetty Chipps who died in 1837, also has her abode as 5 Charles Street. The 1841 Census has him at 5 Charles Street with his daughter Caroline, and then the 1846 burial has the abode as 5 Charles Street.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 February 23 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you access to the newspapers.

AT a MEETING of the MANUFACTURERS of KID _ and other LEATHER GLOVES, held at the Crown and Anchor Tavern, Dec. 9, 5831, HENRY LLOYD in the Chair, Resolved unanimously,—That this Meeting has viewed for a long time past with the most serious alarm the c
14 December 1831 - Morning Herald (London)

It also mentions Mr Lloyd snr.

Added

However a follow up piece ... Has Henry Lloyd (the chairman) as Henry junior.

So is there another Henry Lloyd a glove manufacturer?

Thank you - I was able to access both articles.

All the references I have found for a Henry Lloyd, glover - link to my 3g grandfather, but it's certainly possible.

I tried looking up his address 2 Carlton Place, and found this reference to him being a Wholesale London Agent so I'm even more confused now.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 February 23 09:01 GMT (UK) »

Edit: If John Lloyd was a glove manufacturer, then the burial in 1846 might be a different man. Unless there are 2 different Charles Streets in London?

I don't know London at all, but the daughter of John Lloyd (sister to Henry Lloyd), Eliza Alice Woof Lloyd was still living at 5 Charles Street in 1878.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 February 23 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Henry Lloyd glover, hosier, haberdasher & linen draper of 13 Old Bond Street took out insurance from 1823  -1833

There is a John Lloyd in 1837 of 1a Wimpole street, Cavendish Square , hosier & glover also taking out insurance.

See The National Archives or London Metropolitan Archives

Also at TNA an H.Lloyd Hosier & Glover appears in a list “ Bills from London tradesmen for goods and services supplied to George, 3rd Earl of Egremon”

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 February 23 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello
There was Will for John LLoyd who died 1846
John Llloyd of Charles St Chelsea Middlesex glover
Wife Charlotte and son in law James Jones the house and premises in which he lives Charles St including furniture. in Trust .The Survivor will get to  decide what happens after the first one's demise.The wife to enjoy the use of the house and furniture for life.
After her death the furniture to be sold and the proceeds to be directed by my Trustee  the same as my other house.
Son Henry LLoyd to get the glove  business and Goodwill subject to him agreeing to a fair valuation by 2 disinterested parties.
He owns another house in Charles St which goes to the same Charlotte and James Jones in trust to receive the rents until the youngest children are 21 .It shall then be sold
The resulting money to be divided equally amongst wife Charlotte and the children share and share alike.If any die in the meantime their share to go to their Executors and Heirs or if no heirs to their siblings .
The rest of the estate to be invested to provide dividends to maintain the children until 21 Then the money goes to the children under the same terms.
The Executors can reimburse themselves for their expenses.Exec James Jones and Charlotte LLoyd

Made 19th September 1845.Made at 26 Charles St 

Estate £4000. 31st July 1846.

It very much looks like the right Family.
His burial  says no 5 Charles St and cost £15 9s.The third most expensive of the 25 on the page.
A Poll Book from 1838 gives him at no5 Charles st freehold house
He is there from 1801 on the London tax lists.

If John was not trained by his father or came from a Workhouse their should be a tax record of his apprenticeship. I can't see one.
So it looks like business was in the family

Ciderdrinker

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 February 23 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you mckha489!

Henry and John Lloyd were brothers. Both ended up leaving London for Victoria, Australia - Henry to Geelong and John to Melbourne.

I'll have to look into The National Archives website - I haven't delved into that one yet.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 February 23 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Wow!! Thank you so much ciderdrinker!!

May I ask where you found this. To date I just have subscriptions to ancestry and find my past - but neither have come up with his will.

I did find this in the Morning Herald (London) 21 August 1843 - would this be the same address?