Author Topic: William Bisset  (Read 5232 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: William Bisset
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 May 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
A Hammerman could have worked in an iron foundry. This was the case with my great grandfather. On some of the census records he is listed as a Hammerman and on others just foundry labourer. To my knowledge he never served an apprenticeship.

Possibly a semi skilled worker. ?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 May 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald 8 Nov 1873 reports the accident.William Bisset is said to be " a labourer, living in Guard Lane".

I also note that potential father George is recorded as a carpenter in the 1851 census but as woodman in 1861. ( Possible death as George Bessit in Closeburn 1865 mmn Morrison age 77 - Agnes Bessit other name Carruthers death 1871 Closeburn  age 82).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 May 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
I must thank you all for the invaluable help my friend will much appreciate it as do I.

I feel cheeky asking but would welcome some more help from you incredible people.

Agnes Jane McNaught Bisset's mother Helen born 25.06.1884 have found her on the 1891 census living with her grandmother, mother, her 4 siblings, 2 cousins and the head of the household is her grandmothers sister Agnes McNaught. Not sure were she was on the 1901 census but she then turns up with her Aunt Agnes, Uncle Alexander Stoba, and her cousin Agnes Emma in 1911.

Now her mother Helen Inglis Bisset never married but had 5 children.  She was born 28.08.1852 in Closeburn. On the 1891 census they are living at 33 East Hill Cottage and 32 East Hill Farm a Robert Landsburgh and his wife Catherine but no children. Lochrutton census.

Now the chinese whispers in the family were that Helen was living in some big house and her children were the owner/servant thing.  They then went to live in a cottage in the grounds? 

Helen died in 1904 in Lochrutton aged 39 and Agnes J M goes to live with her Aunt in Bury Lancashire.

Not found the 1901 census for any of the children

Can anyone help solve this conundrum.

Eileen

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 May 19 12:50 BST (UK) »
1901 Census Lochrutton has Hellen Bissett (47), William McM Bissett (19), Euphemia Bissett (16) and Williminia Bissett (12). You could also check the valuation rolls on S.P. for Easthill, Lochrutton.
Helen died 1904 aged 49 which would fit (you had 39 which was just an error probably).
hmcc.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 May 19 13:44 BST (UK) »

Agnes Jane McNaught Bisset's mother Helen born 25.06.1884 have found her on the 1891 census living with her grandmother, mother, her 4 siblings, 2 cousins and the head of the household is her grandmothers sister Agnes McNaught. Not sure were she was on the 1901 census but she then turns up with her Aunt Agnes, Uncle Alexander Stoba, and her cousin Agnes Emma in 1911.

Now her mother Helen Inglis Bisset never married but had 5 children.  She was born 28.08.1852 in Closeburn. On the 1891 census they are living at 33 East Hill Cottage and 32 East Hill Farm a Robert Landsburgh and his wife Catherine but no children. Lochrutton census.

Eileen

Sorry Eileen , but you have lost me . We had William Bisset married to Jane McNaught in Dumfriesshire circa 1850s then "married" to Mary Murray and living in Kilmarnock circa 1870s.

Who is Agnes Jane McNaught Bisset? And her mother Helen born 25/06/1884? 
And who is Helen Inglis Bisset born 28/08/1852?  Is she a daughter of William Bisset and Jane McNaught?
Apologies if I'm being a bit dim - I've skimmed back through the thread but I'm still confused.

Looby :)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 May 19 15:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the confusion.

Agnes Jane McNaught Bisset  born 1884 is William Bisset's granddaughter.  Helen Ingles Bisset born 1852 is William and Jane McNaught's daughter.

Helen Ingles Bisset had 5 children and never married my friend is Agnes Jane (1884) granddaughter.  She as totally confused me with the story of the large house owner and Helen Ingles Bisset the servant none of which is so far proved.

You are not dim it was the way I wrote it lol.

Eileen

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 May 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen,

Thanks for clarifying  ;D

My advice would be to look at the birth registrations for each child and see if a father's name has been recorded .Probably there isn't, but you need to rule that out first.
From reply given by hmcc , it looks like Helen Inglis Bisset had:
William born circa 1882
Euphemia born circa 1885
Willimena born circa 1889
and Agnes Jane born 25/6 1884
there is one child still to be named - if Helen had 5 children.
This must be the oldest child born 16th Feb 1880 - Helen attempts to take a John McClure Junior - a labourer from Gateside, Gasstown - to the Sherriff Court for a Paternity Case.
Her address is Easthill, Lochrutton , Kirkcubrightshire. So, definitely the correct Helen. I think you can order the record for a charge through Scottish Indexes. https://www.scottishindexes.com/courttranscript.aspx?courtid=15035176

Looby  :)

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 May 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for John McNaught Bisset 1880, Lochrutton possibly the first child as said by Looby.
William McNaught Bisset b 31/7/1881 Lochrutton.
Euphemia Bisset b 1886.
1881 census has a Helen Bisset (25) servant on farm of Bellholm, Kirkmahoe.
1901 census has Agnes (16) and Jeanie (12) Bisset at Kirkmahoe but not sure if that is same Agnes Bisset you are looking for 1901.
hmcc.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
hmcc found a census 1901 for an Agnes and Jeanie but doesn't know if it is the same Agnes I am looking for.  Well my Agnes Jane had a sister Wilhemina of that age could she be known as Jeanie?