Author Topic: William Bisset  (Read 5226 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Bisset
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 18:35 BST (UK) »
1901 Census Lochrutton has Hellen Bissett (47), William McM Bissett (19), Euphemia Bissett (16) and Williminia Bissett (12). You could also check the valuation rolls on S.P. for Easthill, Lochrutton.
Helen died 1904 aged 49 which would fit (you had 39 which was just an error probably).
hmcc.

I think this census entry from hmcc is most likely. The one child that isn't on this household entry for 1901 is young Agnes b. 1884. By this age, she is more likely working away from home.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 22:39 BST (UK) »
Closest I can see for Agnes, guessing she could be going by the surname of her reputed father, is this entry:

Agnes Nish, 18, domestic servant b. Lochrutton

She is working in Kelton, at 129 King St, in the household of a David Thomson, a baker.

Monica

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 May 19 08:34 BST (UK) »
Monica

Thank you how do you find these things about her reputed father being named Nish I am in awe of the help I get on this site.

Thank you for the census info. 

Would she use her reputed father then revert back to her own name when she moved to Bury Lancashire where she is on the census 1911 with her Aunt Agnes and Uncle Alexander Stoba and her cousin John's daughter Agnes Emma.

Agnes Jane's granddaughter was told that her grandmother had gone for further education paid for by her reputed father?

Thanks again

Eileen

I can't find a 1901 census for the Stoba's for 1901 could she have been with them?  Where do I find the valuation rolls?

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 May 19 14:07 BST (UK) »
The Scottish valuation rolls are found on SP.
There is a death for Euphemia McNaught Bissett 1963 (77) at Ayr .
1911 census  Euphemia Bisset (23) Ayr.
Had looked for Stoba family in 1901 census but no luck either, Agnes Stoba d 6/12/1921.
Alexander Stoba  Index of Wills 1/9/1932 has Wilhelmina Bissett beneficiary. (on FS).
hmcc.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 May 19 20:00 BST (UK) »

.... how do you find these things about her reputed father being named Nish I am in awe of the help I get on this site.

....Where do I find the valuation rolls?

There is no evidence that this is the right Agnes unfortunately. This site is excellent for checking for paternity actions www.scottishindexes.com/courtsearch.aspx  Looby referred to it earlier with the mention of an action for I think son John.

Regarding the Valuation Rolls, they can be found here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/advanced-search#{"category":"valuation"} Free to view index, you have to use units to view th image.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 09 May 19 20:09 BST (UK) »

I can't find a 1901 census for the Stoba's for 1901 could she have been with them? 

You would think the Stobas would be in Bury for 1901.

They are there in 1891 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7HL6-2W2 and in 1911 as you mentioned  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWB7-RFF

Seeing Agnes in that entry showing as Jane only, might be worth also checking for her under that name elsewhere in 1901?

Monica

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 09 May 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again Monica,

I found the paternity for John Bisset, but can't find the one for Agnes Jane.  I have looked for the Stoba's but can't find them either.  He was an inspector on the steam train in 1891 and had a Robert Stoba living with them in Denton Street Bury Lancashire.  Being on the railway could be anywhere.

Now I am not being funny but John Bisset Helen's son was born in February 16.02.1880 but he is on the 1881 census as 1 month old.  Then she had William in July 1881 again no father mentioned. Then Agnes Jane 1884, followed by Euphenia and Williamina all no fathers mentioned. I looked on the site you gave me but only found the paternity for John Bisset wonder if she took paternity claims out for all the children lol

Thanks for the help

Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help it as been invaluable and I am now closing the post Eileen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 07:23 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.