Author Topic: John Reilly and Mary Reilly nee Macken/Mackin Bailieboro/Bailieborough Workhouse  (Read 3373 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
It's also possible he would have gone to the workhouse if he was ill before he died, if there was no room in Bailieboro he may have been sent to Drogheda, but if that was the case I would expect it would say of Bailieboro on the death cert.
I think you had to be resident in the area to stay in a particular workhouse. If there was no mention in John's admittance records then such information wouldn't appear on the death registration. There's no way of telling who gave details to the workhouse clerk so if that person thought he was a bachelor, etc. then that's what they had on file.

Don't think these links have been posted yet?
Bailieborough Workhouse- http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Bailieborough/
Drogheda Workhouse- http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Drogheda/
If you scroll down on each page and look under 'records' Guardian Minute Books are listed but not Admission & Discharge records- perhaps check National Library catalogue to see if they have them?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I'd be inclined to agree especially since Landlords within the Union had to pay Rates to fund them.

For example the Land Improvement Act.. I'd imagine the Landlords would "insist" that locals were employed.

https://archive.org/details/op1246509-1001/page/n231?q=Bailieborough for example
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Garnethill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Reilly and Mary Reilly nee Macken/Mackin Bailieboro/Bailieborough Workhouse
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 18:35 BST (UK) »
I had already read a lot of info on the Workhouses on the Workhouses dot org website before joining this Forum.  I am slightly confused though:  The rules of the workhouses seemed to say that males and females were separated.  My couple that I am researching, paupers, married and had 4 children (3 births, 1 was twins) and always shown address as Bailieboro Workhouse.  So, how did that work?  Was the husband resident in the Workhouse and she not, but only went there to deliver her babies, or, were they both there?  At one point I think they were both shown as labourers, address Workhouse.  In the end, at the birth record of their last child in 1980, address is shown as Workhouse but with a notation that he had already died before the birth in another workhouse in Drogheda.  So, in closing, I would like to know how it worked for a couple to marry and have children while recorded as at the workhouse? 

I do appreciate all the help from everyone who responded to my post.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Reilly and Mary Reilly nee Macken/Mackin Bailieboro/Bailieborough Workhouse
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 18:44 BST (UK) »
Yes...they only show there because Births were there...doesn't mean they lived there!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 18:47 BST (UK) »
If you could tell us the names and dates of the other children we could look at the certs.
Does it say Workhouse under the father's name on each cert
or
Does it say Workhouse under the date of birth?

Offline Garnethill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
Yes...they only show there because Births were there...doesn't mean they lived there!

ok.  So they may have lived in the area and the wife went there to give birth? 

Offline Garnethill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
If you could tell us the names and dates of the other children we could look at the certs.
Does it say Workhouse under the father's name on each cert
or
Does it say Workhouse under the date of birth?
  I think I posted all the records above.  I have a record for their marriage, and 3 births of 4 children and one for his possible death in the other workhouse in Drogheda (wrong date for age and marital status is wrong too).  Let me know if you need a link not found in previous posts.

Thanks for any help

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
I can only see the marriage cert and Joseph's birth cert, both of which I found my self.
Maybe it's me but I can't see even the names of the other children.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 19:43 BST (UK) »

ok.  So they may have lived in the area and the wife went there to give birth? 

As has been said already.
I think you need to read over the thread from the start, it looks like you have missed some posts, which can happen on a busy thread.