Author Topic: "George Charlton Tent I.Q.R" ????  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"George Charlton Tent I.Q.R" ????
« on: Tuesday 07 May 19 18:31 BST (UK) »
A kind Rootschatter looked up a death notice in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle for me today (take a bow River Tyne Lass)

'LAIDLER, 183, Windsor Av., Gateshead, on 12th inst., aged (66?) years, George, dearly beloved husband of Elizabeth Laidler.  Interment Saltwell Cemetery, Wed.; lift 3 p.m.  All friends and members of the George Charlton Tent I.Q.R., and  A.S. Carpenters and Joiners, Gateshead 2nd Branch, kindly invited.'

I'm ok with the A.S. Carpenters and Joiners, Gateshead 2nd Branch,  that was the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners , and I have his union record.

But this "George Charlton Tent I.Q. R." is defeating me.
His wife's funeral service was in a Methodist Church.

Could this be something to do with the Primitive Methodist Preacher George Charlton? (There is a drinking fountain in Saltwell Park in his memory)

Any info, guesses, places to look to find an explanation, would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Boo

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "George Charlton Tent I.Q.R" ????
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:38 BST (UK) »
I think it should possibly be "I.O.R." - the Independent Order of Rechabites. This was a temperance society, and its local branches were known as Tents. It looks as though one of these might have been named after George Charlton.

There's an article about them at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Order_of_Rechabites

Google also has references - one is the following, which also indicates a Primitive Methodist connection:

https://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/content/subjects-2/temperance/independent_order_of_rechabites
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:50 BST (UK) »
Is this any help?

IOR, Order of Rechabites

EDIT, Arthurk just beat me to it!!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:58 BST (UK) »
EDIT, Arthurk just beat me to it!!

But you found proof of the name of the Tent.  :)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you arthurk and Claire64 !

Great finds from each of you and much appreciated.

I suppose the abbreviation would have been obvious way back when the notice was placed but all these years later I need complete words to understand things :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 20:21 BST (UK) »
As an aside, I think I'd better look into this DNA thing -
I have lots of references now to people in my tree who were 'agin the drink'. Maybe I have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line whilst researching.

My G G Granny was the author of poetry which was published in 1864 (and believed to be the first example of a work to be actually 'printed' on Shetland) most of which was a warning against the perils of strong drink.
and now yet another twiglet is a Rechabite. (I have others who took the pledge).

Given that we have just had a very nice bottle of red wine with dinner, I think my ancestors would be horrified to see what their descendants have amounted to:-)

Boo

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
I have a wonderful photograph of our local Temperance ladies, including my great grandma.  I posted it on our local Facebook forum, and well, the comments!!!!  I have to say, they did look a miserable lot! 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
As an aside, I think I'd better look into this DNA thing -
I have lots of references now to people in my tree who were 'agin the drink'.

My granny was in the temperance movement too, but that doesn’t stop me enjoying a glass of red wine. Cheers  :)

And yes, you should definitely look at “this DNA thing”. A good investment that will help to support or disprove your paper trail and give you hours of endless fun.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 13:37 BST (UK) »
And yes, you should definitely look at “this DNA thing”. A good investment that will help to support or disprove your paper trail and give you hours of endless fun.

Oh Craclyn, I have glanced through board discussions on DNA.

Bearing in mind I spent about 2 hours on the web trying to suss out one abbreviated unusual phrase from a newspaper death notice, I would be a gibbering wreck in the corner trying to come to grips with the terminology related to DNA results :-)

Boo