Author Topic: "George Charlton Tent I.Q.R" ????  (Read 1532 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "George Charlton Tent I.Q.R" ????
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 15:48 BST (UK) »
He is recorded on Free BMD as having died September Quarter 1895 aged 38, Tynemouth Registration District, (which includes Walker).

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 16:15 BST (UK) »
He is recorded on Free BMD as having died September Quarter 1895 aged 38, Tynemouth Registration District, (which includes Walker).

You have lost me totally there barryd. My George Laidler definitely died in 1919, aged 66, in Gateshead.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Well, I see that there was an error made with the acronym yesterday - whether this was an mistake made by the newspaper or my mistake I am not sure at this point.  Apologies if it was my error. :-[

I didn't have a clue yesterday what this acronym meant either.  I imagine though, it would have been understood by most readers back then. 

I am glad to see that this query has been answered so well by helpful RootsChatters.   :)

That is interesting that your direct ancestor was a poet.  I imagine it would have been uncommon for women to write and have work published back then.  If she was my ancestor I would feel quite proud of her achievement.  I am thinking of the Bronte sisters and how at first they had to use mannish sounding pseudonyms to get a foot in the door.  Wasn't it Robert Southey, the poet laureate, who tried to put Charlotte Bronte off writing when she wrote to him for advice?  Imagine if she had listened to his stern response that she should give up the idea of writing on account of her being a woman.  Just think what a loss to English literature if she had taken on board his  advice!!

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
 RTL you have nothing to apologise for, you willingly helped and looked at an old microfilm of a very old newspaper and I was really grateful.

Either the Chronicle (as was its wont) got it wrong or the image so fuzzy it was hard to read, but nothing at all to do with you.

Besides, the mystery is now solved so alls well that ends well :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

The newspaper wasn't fuzzy but I did have to get the biggest lens as the print was quite small.  Just out of curiosity the next time I have occasion to check for any death notices I will re-check this one again to see if the newspaper really did show this as I.Q.R.  I am coming up to nightshifts again starting tonight so I am not sure yet when it might be though.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:08 BST (UK) »
Though I know how you hard you work to get things right, PLEASE don't go to any extra trouble, you already do so much to help.

Boo

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
Put it this way...if everything had gone perfectly. none of us would have learnt so much!!  I didn't know about Tents, or IOR, though I have heard of Rechabites.  I love learning new things, and you remember them better when you've had to work at getting the answers! 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 May 19 13:25 BST (UK) »
That's true Claire.  I don't know if it was my error or the newspaper but we have learned something from this.  I knew nothing of the tents or the Rechabites and I love learning new things too so it has all been a positive really.  Now if I do a look up again for anyone and come across this I will be able to explain exactly what this means .. and put a link on to this thread. :)

Oh by the way Boo, I forgot to mention, I got confused too initially by barryd's post but I think he was referring to the chap in the newspaper that Claire posted on. (reply 2).