Author Topic: Can't decipher the surname...  (Read 7955 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Can't decipher the surname...
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 18 January 24 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Look for an Abstract or Epitome of Title. Some go back to the Manor, like our village Ale-house sold by the Manor in 1766. The 1766 transaction was also formally recorded on the reverse of an 1800 Conveyance.

The earliest new owners (1766 - 1813) of the Pub were listed in a page of the Manor Rent Book listed as paying a 'Fee Farm or Quit Rent', also with a reference to the last two Manorial Tenants (named), who were then found in an earlier Manorial Survey and Manor Rental.

Other Abstracts don't go back that far. The Registry once told me that some old properties have also been separated out of other neighbouring property Deeds.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 18 January 24 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal, February 1930

SHARDLOW.-TO BE LET or SOLD, detached
FREEHOLD RESIDENCE, known as The
Villa: 3 reception-rooms, dining-room. 6
bedrooms, bathroom, and the usual offices.
Stabling. Rent £75 p.a.-Jameson & Messenger,
77, Chancery-lane, London.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 18 January 24 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Mark.

I looked at the various documents from Land Registry. In the 1936 collection of documents I found the 'abstract of the title of the trustees of the will of Sir Henry Sutton deceased to freehold hereditaments at Shardlow...'

There's a bit of a history of the Sutton family that I need to get to grips with. There is also a schedule detailing the property owned around Shardlow and beyond... I've attached this as a photo - it shows the hall was let by O. Wyatt who also also let the Dower House.

Lots more to look at...

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 18 January 24 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Matt

William Hood
I was wondering if William Hood might be mentioned amongst your collection of earlier documents, who was mentioned in the 1831 Will of James Sutton, please?

Wyatt of Shardlow
Searched Wyatt of Shardlow and the main newspaper references are to O. P. Wyatt letting the village hold the Fete in the grounds of the Hall, not much else.

General
The big lengthy Abstract of Title of my Hood ancestor went back to the Lord of the Manor who was being propped up by Bankers, prior to an 1835 Sale of part of the Manor.

Two of his Sons were later Jurors at the Manor Court.

Thanks, Mark

Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills
PROB 11/1783/237
Will of James Sutton of Shardlow, Derbyshire
2nd March 1831
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D252845

I am particularly interested in Thos Turner and William Hood, being near Warehouses and the River Trent.
Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 18 January 24 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Matt

1831 Will of James Sutton of Shardlow, Derbyshire.

Apparently, land near Cavendish Bridge, called Dukes Piece with appurts in the several occupations of Thomas Turner, William Hood and Thomas Winfield Boat Captain ...

Thank you, if you come across anything in the future, Mark

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 21 January 24 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Mark for your input on this. I will of course keep an eye open for William Hood.

I've been filling in some census details today. There is no mention of The Villa in the 1861,71,81 and 91 census records but there is a good possibility that John Eaton, Rector of Shardlow in all 4 of these is the person I am looking for. He dies in 1897 and has a useful annotation in the burial record stating he was rector for 45 years. The next burial at the churchyard a few days later sounds rather gruesome mind you!

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 22 January 24 16:28 GMT (UK) »
"Eaton rector" search

Marriage of Mary Sutton daughter of James Sutton

Numerous newspapers 1st to 12th November 1864
Cantrell-Sutton On Thursday, the 27th ult., Shardlow, Derbyshire, by the Rev. John Eaton, rector, the Rev. W. H. Cantrell, of King’s Newton, to Mary, eldest daughter of James Sutton, Esq., Shardlow Hall.
 ----------
Looking at the adjacent Householder Schedule numbers one side of The Villa in 1851 Census:-

Richard Nicklinson (Nickolson 1861)
Sarah Nicklinson

Benjamin Newham (Newsham)

Catharine Cook (Catherine Cook 1861)

1861 Elizabeth Shardlow, Head, W, 76, Publican.

It does seem in the 1861 Census that John Eaton was occupying the property.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 22 January 24 20:06 GMT (UK) »
18th August 1869
Shardlow Horticultural Show.
Mentions ... Miss Eaton, of the Rectory, ...

1891 Census
"The Rectory", John Eaton, Head, S, 67, Rector of Shardlow Clergy, born Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire.
Elizabeth L Eaton, Sister, S, 66, Living on her Own Means, born Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire.

14th September 1870
Castle Donington.
Cavendish Bridge Brewery Festivities.- On Wednesday last, George Trussell Eaton, Esq., of the Cavendish Bridge Brewery, gave his annual dinner to the workmen and tradesmen ...

Mr G. T. Eaton mentioned in previous years at social events mostly hosted by John Eaton, Rector, of Shardlow, seems to be related.

Reply Amended and the following Added:
5th August 1988
COFFEE To celebrate St James’s Day at Shardlow Church coffee evening was held at Shardlow Manor Retirement Home formerly Shardlow Rectory A large number of people were attracted to the event ...

Mark

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Mark.

I will do a more comprehensive search of the Eaton family. The Cavendish Bridge Brewery buildings are still in existence but now a sorry state of car workshops, scaffolders and metal recycling units but look to have a fascinating history when the time is available to investigate.

I did find out that Mary Sutton from 1841 was the aunt of James Sutton Esq. More work to do on that one.

I was aware that Shardlow Manor has been the rectory in the past - that was the line from the heritage centre. I think we have shown that The Villa/Dower House was at one stage also the rectory but I will discuss with the heritage centre in future.

What do you use to find the newspaper articles?

Out of interest, I haven't looked at the 1921 census - just wondering what search term would be needed to find the right page to buy the image.

Thanks again.