Author Topic: Can't decipher the surname...  (Read 7958 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Can't decipher the surname...
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 12:21 GMT (UK) »
A link to your 1910 Valuation Survey, which also gave the occupation of James Hawkins premises, numbered 186.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806900.msg6696139#msg6696139
 ----------
The names who are Head of a household in the vicinity in the 1901 Census who also appear in the 1891 Census seem to be James Hawkins; Joseph Stone; Mary Henshall.

It seems John Eaton may have referred to The Villa, as The Rectory.
 ----------
There were two Rectors living in Shardlow.

In the 1891 Census quite close to John Eaton, was William Roby Burgin, who also died 1897.

Both Rectors:- John Eaton and William Roby Burgin left Wills. But the Calendar (indexes) don't give addresses, like some earlier gov.uk Probate Calendars.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 15:01 GMT (UK) »
The Long Eaton Advertiser, 22 May 1897

FUNERAL OF THE LATE RECTOR OF SHARDLOW.
The funeral of the late Rev. William Roby Burgin, of Shardlow took place on Monday afternoon at the Oak’s Church, Leicestershire. The deceased passed away on the previous Wednesday after an illness of a few days’ duration, at the age of 91. ... He had been resident at Shardlow about 45 years, and was a large owner of property, part of which is only heritable. ...
 ----------
British Newpaper Archive (BNA) online, but search and images are included with some types of F M P membership.

Because of OCR scanning, some searches may require different search terms, or checking pages around a known date.
 ----------
A Keyword box, Exact ticked, under Search All Records (on Anc.) for "Villa Shardlow" ...

The Medical Registers
1920 - 1925
Bernard George Gutteridge, Villa, Shardlow, Derby.

Medical Registers
1925 - 1937
Mary Caroline Bell, (Mrs) (formerly Lindsay), The Villa, Shardlow, Derby.
 ----------
A newspaper says Dr Hogg was appointed to Shardlow in 1895.

Dr Hogg probably moved in after the occupant's death?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Looks like John Eaton's, Sister, Elizabeth L. Eaton, living with him in the 1891 Census. ...

Leicester Chronicle, 23rd December 1893
EATON.— On the 12th inst, at Shardlow, Elizabeth Louisa, third daughter of the late Wm. Eaton, of Etwall, aged 68 years.
 ---------
Even the March 1897 Cumberland and Sons, Furniture Sale advert for John Eaton, with brief furniture descriptions, Funeral Notice, Executors Notice, only gave the address as Shardlow.
 ---------
John Eaton in Crockford's Clerical Directory 1885

Earlier in the 1868 Edition
Patron, James Sutton, Esq.

According to the 1885 Abbreviations:-

Patron, the Representatives of the late James Sutton, Esq.

T.R.C. Tithe Rent Charge.

Formerly Curate / Curacy of Sutton on the Hill, Derby, 1847-49.
 ----------
Marriage of another Sutton ...

Leicester Guardian, 13th September 1871.

Miss Sutton of Shardlow Hall and William Hodson Lloyd, of the Midland Circuit [adds Barrister in another paper]

Other names mentioned: Hy Sutton, Alfred Sutton

Bridesmaids, Miss Sophia Sutton, Miss Lucy Sutton, Miss Louisa Sutton and Miss Susan Sutton, sisters of the bride, Miss Anwyl and Miss Kate Anwyl cousins of the Bridegroom and Miss Wadham.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 22:55 GMT (UK) »
You've unearthed all manner of interesting information there. The second rector William Roby Burgin is almost certainly living at Shardlow Manor in 1881 and 1891 (104 on the 1910 survey) - you can plot the route between the two houses. This is where the heritage centre had suggested was the rectory. It's not clear to me that he was rector at Shardlow parish church as John Eaton fulfilled this role from the 18n50s. I noticed the heritage centre had a photo of John Eaton and his successor RL Farmer.

William Roby Burgin was according to his Cambridge University alumi entry 'for many years Domestic Chaplain to the Baroness de Clifford, at Shardlow, Derbs'. I'm not sure exactly what that involved but something to look at. His probate listing indicates he was very wealthy.

Thanks for the medical registry info. I suspect the 1921 census will help there with Gutteridge.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 23:07 GMT (UK) »
There's another detail that I am interested in as I have spent nearly 5 years working on the building here. There have been two major alterations made to the house over the years as indicated by the different bricks used during the work that would have meant the house was uninhabitable.

I suspect that the original Fosbrooke era house underwent major changes when James Sutton (sr/jr) acquired the house and probably in time for his sister/aunt Mary Sutton to move in. It will probably be very difficult to find out much about this period.

The rear of the house was originally single storey but a second storey was added along with a lean-to both in a very different brick to the earlier house and additions. I'm researching this type of brick as it is more uniform, harder and much newer than the other soft handmade bricks elsewhere.  This would have been a big undertaking... All I can go on is a Christmas card received by Amy Hogg in 1911 was found behind a fireplace in the room that was added on. Maybe this work was completed between the Eaton and Hogg tenancies?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Dobson of Shardlow Hall
It looks like Dobson were Occupiers of Shardlow Hall, after the Sutton Family?

1899 Marriage of Dobson's Son
At St Mary East Molesey, January 1899.

Albert George Dobson of Shardlow Hall, near Derby, Gentleman, Son of William Dobson of Shardlow Hall, married
Miss Leila de Sausmarez of the Parish of St Mary, East Molesey, daughter of Lionel Andros de Sausmarez, Commander in the Royal Navy.

Added:
Albert George Dobson, died 1947.
Leila De Sausmarez, his Wife, Daughter of Commander L. A. De Sausmarez, A. M. R. N., died 1949.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/262247676/leila-dobson
 ----------
1910 Valuation Survey photos.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806900.msg6696139#msg6696139

1925 Edward Sutton, of Market Deeping and Shardlow Hall
Lincolnshire Standard, 12th December 1925
DEATH OF MR. E. SUTTON, OF MARKET DEEPING.
The death is announced of Mr. Edward Sutton, J.P., of Maxey House, Market Deeping and Shardlow Hall, Derbyshire. For nearly 30 years Mr. Sutton had been a magistrate for parts of Kesteven, and was also Justice of the Peace for the Counties of Derby and Leicester.
He was 82 years of age, and Brother of the late Sir Henry Sutton, a Judge of the King's Bench, who was one of the counsel for the Crown in the trial of Dr Jameson.

Alfred Sutton of Bridekirk, Cockermouth, Cumberland
1897 and 1899 A. Sutton of Bridekirk, Cockermouth, was advertising bits of the Shardlow Hall Estate ...
2 & 9th January 1897, titled Shardlow Hall Estate, to Let, Trent Lane Farm and Park Lane Farm, Castle Donington, occupied by Mr Carr. Wilne Lane Farm, Shardlow.

Estate Plans and Building Plans
The current owner of Shardlow Hall, might have the odd old Plan or not?

Unfortunately, the Shardlow Hall Estate may have been sold piecemeal, so old Estate Plans might end up with Solicitors, selling the last properties or part?

Occasionally, old Estate Plans might survive amongst the descendants, map collectors, or in deposited in any Archive? We can't name the living on here and I don't know who they are.

Some Planning Departments retained Planning Application Plans from the 19th Century or have deposited them in Archives.

Large scale OS Maps
https://maps.nls.uk/

20th Century Aerial photos held by English Heritage / Historic England at Swindon.
https://historicengland.org.uk/about/contact-us/historic-england-archive/

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Sir Henry Sutton, Son of the late James Sutton, Esq., of Shardlow Hall
Henry Sutton married Caroline Elizabeth Nanson.

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent, 5th October 1872

Sutton - Nanson.— Oct 2, at St. John's Church, Houghton, Cumberland, Henry Sutton, Esq., barrister-at-law, second surviving son of the late James Sutton, Esq., of Shardlow Hall, Derbyshire, to Caroline Elizabeth, eldest daughter of John Nanson, Esq., of Knells, Cumberland.

Children found born Reg'n District of Kensington (with Mother M.S., Nanson):-
Dorothy Caroline Sutton, born 1874.
Humfrey Sutton, born 1876.
Marjorie Sutton, born 1878.
Amabel Mary Sutton, born 1879.
Henry Geoffrey Sutton, born 1880.
Lettice Joyce Sutton, born 1885.

1881 Census, Kensington
Henry Sutton, Head, Mar, 36, Barister at Law, Wilne Shardlow, Derbyshire.
Bertha M Nanson, Sister-in-Law, 22, born Carlisle. [Previously in 1871 a Pupil at Broughton House, Shardlow].

Sir Henry Sutton, (address given), died 30th May 1920.
Probate date in 1920.
 ----------

Sutton of Maxey House
The Widow of Edward Sutton of Maxey House, near Market Deeping, Mrs Frances Sutton, died 1926.

Their Probates 1926 & 1927.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 25 January 24 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mark. Lots to look at there. Not had much time to carry on the search. It was of interest to read more about George Eaton's brewery at Cavendish Bridge - that's a small village/hamlet just over the other side of the river Trent.

From Henry Sutton's side, his daughter Marjorie married Julius Bertram a Liberal party MP. His name is on the house deeds for the sale to Lavinia Calvert is 1936.

I have work to do on this... Thanks again.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 25 January 24 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mark. Lots to look at there. Not had much time to carry on the search. It was of interest to read more about George Eaton's brewery at Cavendish Bridge - that's a small village/hamlet just over the other side of the river Trent.

From Henry Sutton's side, his daughter Marjorie married Julius Bertram a Liberal party MP. His name is on the house deeds for the sale to Lavinia Calvert is 1936.

I have work to do on this... Thanks again.

Julius Bertram, Esq., was one of the Executors to the Will of Mrs Frances Sutton, of Deeping Gate, Proved 1927. [Widow of Edward Sutton of Maxey House, Deeping Gate].

It seems this Deeping Gate was near Market Deeping.

I wonder if Mrs Frances Sutton was left the house as a 'Dower' by Edward Sutton in his Will proved 1926?

Mark