Author Topic: Which Ann did James Hingley/Ingley (1741 - 1826) marry?  (Read 3007 times)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Ann did James Hingley/Ingley (1741 - 1826) marry?
« on: Thursday 09 May 19 16:31 BST (UK) »
Going back to James Hingley/Ingley (1741 - 1826), I have found the surname of his wife Ann whose surname is Gewnes from their marriage (see attached IGI) so I decided to look up Ann Fownes - turned out that she married Samuel Hingley on 25 December 1760 at Oldbury!: -

Name:   Ann Fownes
Marriage Date:   25 Dec 1760
Marriage Place:   Oldbury, Worcester, England
Spouse:   Saml. Hingley
FHL Film Number:   291635
Reference ID:   129

I'm now confused and have been trying to find the actual marriage between James Hingley/Ingley and Ann Fownes/Fones at Halesowen to no avail ???

I currently have Ann Fownes' parents down as William Fownes (1720 - Feb 1774) married to Sarah Cartwright (1715 - 1796) on 24 September 1739 at Halesowen.

I can't seem to find anymore on Ann Gewnes either...

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ann did James Hingley/Ingley (1741 - 1826) marry?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
You say you are confused - you're not the only one!  :)

At the start you say you have found James Hingley's marriage in 1760 to Ann Gewnes (as in the clip you posted from familysearch), and then go on to say you decided to look for Ann Fownes. I don't see the connection.

Have you seen the actual image of the marriage in 1760 at Halesowen?
Until you have seen that and deciphered it, you can't really know what the names are. It could be that whoever has transcribed the entry on familysearch couldn't read it very well, or has mis-read it. (Many instances of this).
Gewnes and Fownes would seem to be names that could easily be mixed up in transcription.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 19 02:07 BST (UK) »
You say you are confused - you're not the only one!  :)

At the start you say you have found James Hingley's marriage in 1760 to Ann Gewnes (as in the clip you posted from familysearch), and then go on to say you decided to look for Ann Fownes. I don't see the connection.

Have you seen the actual image of the marriage in 1760 at Halesowen?
Until you have seen that and deciphered it, you can't really know what the names are. It could be that whoever has transcribed the entry on familysearch couldn't read it very well, or has mis-read it. (Many instances of this).
Gewnes and Fownes would seem to be names that could easily be mixed up in transcription.

I need to look at my old paper records, to see where I got Ann Fones/Fownes from and why I had her married to James Insley/Ingley/Hingley in the first place.  I think I got it from IGI (microfiche) when our local library had them. Unfortunately the library no longer has microfiche and I now can't find them on Family Search but have, today, found the marriage between Ann and James Hingley on https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=bcconnections&view=0&pid=5161&ver=459889

Whilst using Ancestry this morning I came across the same date marriage (25 Dec 1760) at Oldbury between Anne Fownes and Samuel Hingley (not James!), which was why I was looking for the marriage records on Family Search and found James Hingley had married Ann Gewnes at Halesowen on the same date (25 Dec 1760)!

Baffling!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 19 05:33 BST (UK) »
Halesowen and Oldbury are only about 3 or 4 miles apart, and it's possible marriages were entered in both registers.
From genuki
"OLDBURY, a township and market town in the parish of Halesowen,

https://www.genuki.org.uk/node/99527

Have you got the actual names of the churches these marriages came from? It may turn out to actually be the same church!

You still don't say if you have seen the actual images in the registers, or just transcriptions.
Difficult to make any informed decision without seeing what is actually written at the time.

An abbreviation for 'James' (usually something like 'Jas' or 'Jams'), and an abbreviation for 'Samuel' (usually 'Saml') may look quite similar.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
That is a good question regarding which church they married at. If Halesowen comes up on any marriage, I would have originally thought St Johns. It would have made more sense if they had married at Rowley Regis, then the church would have been St Giles. I'm not familiar with churches in Oldbury. Oldbury is 6 and half miles from Halesowen but from that link you've sent me, Oldbury may have been in the parish of Halesowen at the time, which means the marriage between Samuel Hingley and Ann Fownes may have taken place at Christchurch, Oldbury? Mmm re decipher the spelling of Jam and Sam, will look that up. The transcription of names were in full for their marriages but I have come across transcriptions linking to christening for father names like Jos. for Joseph as well as Josh for Joseph, which confused me as I would have assumed Josh was short for Joshua not Joseph. Argh! Thanks  :)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I looked at the Grooms marriage index volumes & found this entry
Jas Hingeley of Rowley (B) = Ann Townes (S) OTP at Highley
I then looked at the Brides marriage index & this volume has the same entry in it

I then looked at one of the films of parish registers for Highley film 126/2 & saw this entry
Page 74 25DEC1760 by banns
James Hingeley (B) of Rowley = Ann Fownes (S) OTP
Witnesses - William Fownes, (looks like Joseph Chandler)
Vicar P. Will it
This entry was read at the Hive, Worcester on 21st May

I also looked at one of the volumes of Wills index & found a couple of entries that may be of use to you
James Hingley   Rowley Regis. 10JUN1846. Will
Joseph Hingley. Rowley Regis. 4JUN1855.  Will

Also on the film I got that marriage entry from is the following that may fit into your tree
3AUG1740 Ann d/o William/Sarah Fones of Cradley

30SEP1746 James Hingley = Mary Hartison BOTP

All the very best

Phil

Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I looked at the Grooms marriage index volumes & found this entry
Jas Hingeley of Rowley (B) = Ann Townes (S) OTP at Highley
I then looked at the Brides marriage index & this volume has the same entry in it

I then looked at one of the films of parish registers for Highley film 126/2 & saw this entry
Page 74 25DEC1760 by banns
James Hingeley (B) of Rowley = Ann Fownes (S) OTP
Witnesses - William Fownes, (looks like Joseph Chandler)
Vicar P. Will it
This entry was read at the Hive, Worcester on 21st May

I also looked at one of the volumes of Wills index & found a couple of entries that may be of use to you
James Hingley   Rowley Regis. 10JUN1846. Will
Joseph Hingley. Rowley Regis. 4JUN1855.  Will

Also on the film I got that marriage entry from is the following that may fit into your tree
3AUG1740 Ann d/o William/Sarah Fones of Cradley

30SEP1746 James Hingley = Mary Hartison BOTP

All the very best

Phil

That's a fantastic find and many thanks Phil, for looking up their marriage and other useful links relating to Hingley/Fownes families.  What does OTP and BOTP stand for?

I hope to arrange to visit the Hive for the day to look up these records next month.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 19 04:42 BST (UK) »

What does OTP and BOTP stand for?

OTP will mean 'Of This Parish', and BOTP 'Both Of This Parish'

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 May 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
OTP means of this parish & BOTB means both of this parish

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin