Author Topic: DNA muddle - I'm confused!  (Read 1368 times)

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
DNA muddle - I'm confused!
« on: Thursday 09 May 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have an expected DNA match with a 2nd cousin x1 removed (my mum's second cousin.) We share 59cM across 5 segments. 

I have another match on my paternal line, again a 2nd x1 removed and we share 178cM across 10 segments.

The 59cM match made me wonder on a suspicion I've had. That my great grandfathers father wasn't his father. He was born in June 1892 and his parents married in Sep 1892. He was also baptised in August, before the marriage, in the name of the father's surname (they must of pretended to be married.) The match descends from my great grandfathers sister.....so did they have different father's?

I have had a few matches with unknown people in them so have wondered are they a link to my true x2 great grandfather. One match I share is 67 cm across 4 segments. I think I've found a link and  that my possible x2 great grandfather was brother to her grandfather. He was living in the same village as my great grandmother at the correct time.

I still need to look at this theory closely though.

What I'm confused by is, my 59cM match  also has a match with my 67cM mystery match...they share 35cM across 4 segments. If my theory is correct, there wouldn't be a DNA match would there? Any help, thoughts would be appreciated x

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA muddle - I'm confused!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 19 21:36 BST (UK) »
I suspect the reason why you may not of had a reply is that it is hard to follow who is related where in the description. I have attempted to map it but suspect it is at least partly wrong but if you could correct it that would at least be a start and might move things forward

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
35 cM could be quite a way back, 4th cousin or more, common ancestor in early 1800s or before. 59 cM is very low for a second cousin once removed. It could simply be a coincidental link. You need to get all three kits on GEDMATCH so you can see exactly what segments match.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 19 23:44 BST (UK) »
A quick question if I may please melba?  :)

Are you suggesting that helxx upload the raw data to Gedmatch because Ancestry (if s/he tested with them) don’t have a chromosome browser? If so, they can also upload to FTDNA and My Heritage too, though there now is a cost involved to “unlock” this feature in My Heritage.

Useful diagram David. I found the relationships in the description difficult to follow too.  :)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 May 19 08:18 BST (UK) »
I think that 59 cMs is highly unlikely to be a coincidental link. DNA painter gives 12.26% possibility for 2C1R at 59 cMs.

Most of my matches down to about 59 cMs I am able to place as 3rd or 4th cousins, to some degree. Down to 35 cMs they are mostly about 4th cousin level, one is 3rd cousin.

I think most of us at ancestry consider any 4th to 6th cousins as worth investigating further, that is, down to 20 cMs. There are way too many 5th to 8th cousins, from 6 cMs to 20 cMs, to investigate individually, rather on a surname or place name basis.

As for uploading to other sites, the only free chromosome browser as far as I know is at Gedmatch, at both myheritageDNA and familytreeDNA you have to pay a fee to unlock this feature.

I am glad that David took the plunge to say that he didn't understand the original query. I started to reply, then thought that there might be someone else who did understand, so left it.

My reply was going to be along the lines of - it might be reasonable to assume that if 67 cm match and 59 cm match are matches with both helxx and each other, then the three of you have a common ancestor. Who that ancestor could be I was unable to help with.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 May 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margaret. I didn’t realise there was a cost to “unlock” features on FTDNA as well as My Heritage. I find My Heritage the easiest to use, but I haven’t tried Ancestry as they don’t allow data uploads of tests taken with other companies .... which is a shame.  ;)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 May 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, I uploaded my DNA to ftDNA a couple of years ago, and there has always been a charge.

myheritageDNA only started charging last December, but thankfully allowed people who had already uploaded their DNA to continue accessing browser without extra payment.

I agree, it seems to me to be the easiest browser to work with that I have found - no messing about with kit numbers like at Gedmatch (a lot of copying and pasting involved).

I still think that, despite the lack of chromosome browser, Ancestry is the best company to test with, mainly because of the size of their database. But I do wish they had one, something unlikely to ever happen.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 May 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
I think that 59 cMs is highly unlikely to be a coincidental link. DNA painter gives 12.26% possibility for 2C1R at 59 cMs.

Most of my matches down to about 59 cMs I am able to place as 3rd or 4th cousins, to some degree. Down to 35 cMs they are mostly about 4th cousin level, one is 3rd cousin.
Hi Margaret, I meant that the fact the mystery 67 cM link that matched the 59 cM 2C1R link at 35 cM might be coincidental  :). Ruskie I meant it would be a good idea to upload all three kits to GEDMATCH as it is now the only free option with a chromosome browser, and you will be able to see whether the places where 67 matches the 59, are also shared by the OP.