Author Topic: Request Help Understanding -Renting House but No Land?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Request Help Understanding -Renting House but No Land?
« on: Thursday 09 May 19 18:55 BST (UK) »
Everyone that has helped me before has been amazing and very kind so I am asking again for some guidance regarding my 2x GG Thomas Graham and Elizabeth Martin. Fact, Thomas Graham was a labourer and not a farmer. Every marriage record for his children indicates "labour". I understand from that he did not have a trade and he did not farm his own land. On Thomas Graham and Elizabeth Martin's marriage record of 1842, he at the time of marriage he is living in Tullygony and Elizabeth is in Rafeenan.
Griffiths Valuation which I believe was recorded around 1860's shows a Thomas Graham in Tullygony, renting a house only no land. In Rafeenan there is a Robert Graham as well renting a house, no land. Following the family until when Thomas and Elizabeth died, one in 1882 and the other in 1892 they are living in Rafeenan. Two of their children Robert, born in 1843 and his sister Jane and her son also lived in Rafeenan. My question is could they have rented land somewhere else to where they were living either in Tullygony or Rafeenan ? I searched all the Thomas Grahams for Co. Monaghan and found 3 that rented land only. Not sure how far the 3 places are to Tullygony or Rafeenan, but the are the following,
Cornafaghy- Thomas Graham 9 acres
Mullandavagh, Thomas 2 acres
Clonnagore, Thomas plot #7 1 acre and plot#8 3 acres.

I read an article about a local Doctor and his rounds and in one case a brother and sister rented a house, but their field was over a mile away. This surprised me as I was not aware of that!! This is what got me thinking and therefore my request for some advice.

I'm just trying to get a picture of what my 2x GG Thomas Graham did and the only other thing I can think of is maybe he worked harvesting flax as I see a name of the Flax growers list for a Thomas Graham in Tedavnet but not sure if it's my 2xGG. My 2x GG was born in 1801 Magherarney.

If somebody has any thoughts or ideas or suggestions, I will be most grateful.

Thank you very much!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request Help Understanding -Renting House but No Land?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
Everyone that has helped me before has been amazing and very kind so I am asking again for some guidance regarding my 2x GG Thomas Graham and Elizabeth Martin. Fact, Thomas Graham was a labourer and not a farmer. Every marriage record for his children indicates "labour". I understand from that he did not have a trade and he did not farm his own land. On Thomas Graham and Elizabeth Martin's marriage record of 1842, he at the time of marriage he is living in Tullygony and Elizabeth is in Rafeenan.
Griffiths Valuation which I believe was recorded around 1860's shows a Thomas Graham in Tullygony, renting a house only no land. In Rafeenan there is a Robert Graham as well renting a house, no land. Following the family until when Thomas and Elizabeth died, one in 1882 and the other in 1892 they are living in Rafeenan. 

I'm just trying to get a picture of what my 2x GG Thomas Graham did and the only other thing I can think of is maybe he worked harvesting flax as I see a name of the Flax growers list for a Thomas Graham in Tedavnet but not sure if it's my 2xGG. My 2x GG was born in 1801 Magherarney.

If somebody has any thoughts or ideas or suggestions, I will be most grateful.

Thank you very much!!

In Nov 1868 when Elizabeth Jane was born weren't they in Killymarran Glebe  ??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 19 22:11 BST (UK) »
I have copies of the church records from PRONI-Belfast for the children as follows:
Thomas and Elizabeth Martin merry 1842
Robert Graham- 28 October 1843- Tullygoney
Thomas Graham-7 May 1846- Tullygony- source Familysearch.org
Andrew Graham- 22 March 1849- illegible
Jane Graham-20 January 1857-Tullygony
William Graham-22 January 1859- abode is blank
James Graham-14 March 1861- Rafeenan (my Great Grandfather)
Thomas Graham- 15 March 1863-Rafeenan

Elizabeth Jane Graham-13 November 1868- parents are Thomas Graham and Eliza THOMAS
Ann Graham-06 January 1866- Rafeenan but parents as above per family search.org

There are gaps in the years of the above births, however Elizabeth Martin was born around 1822’s and Thomas Graham 1801 so big age difference. Their marriage record shows witness Andrew Martin and Thomas Morrow. Can’t find connection to Morrow but Andrew Martin was Elizabeth’s fathers name. Burial records for Thomas Graham, 80 years 5 January 1882-Rafeenan and Elizabeth, 70 years, 21 June 1892- Rafeenan.

This is what I have so far.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
Do you have the film?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 19 23:11 BST (UK) »
No film. I paid for photocopies of the church records from PRONI-Belfast.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
Film # for Elizabeth Jane Graham is GS Film#101177 index project Baruch #CO1408-1
Ann Graham is GS Film#101122 index project batch C700128.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 19 23:58 BST (UK) »
Griffith Valuation Tullygony townland.
3a Patrick McArce, house, offices and 13 acres of land.
3b Thomas Graham rented  a house from Patrick McArce
3c Mary Murragh rented house from Patrick McArce.
Catherine McArce at 4 was also subletting houses.
Cowban

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 19 00:02 BST (UK) »
Yes that is my Thomas Graham at 3b renting a house but my query is about if and where he may have leased land near Tullygony. Thank you for helping me.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 19 00:06 BST (UK) »
Why as he was a labourer do you think he rented land anywhere? If he had the Certs would say he was a farmer.