Author Topic: John Scott living in Annan 1788-1799  (Read 1256 times)

Offline david standley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Scott living in Annan 1788-1799
« on: Friday 10 May 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with any information about John Scott?
I know that he married Agnes Lorrain and that they had seven children born in Annan between 1789 and 1799.
I know that many of the Annan marriage records of that time are missing.
I can find Agnes Lorrain in the Annan birth records baptised in 1770 but not John Scott.
The closest that I can find is a John Scott baptised in Gretna in 1769.

I cannot find any death/burial records for either John or Agnes.

Has anyone got any thoughts please?

David Standley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Scott living in Annan 1788-1799
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you got their children's names in birth order? It might help as often, but not always, naming children followed a convention -

First male child - paternal grandfather
First female child - maternal grandmother
second male child - maternal grandfather
second female child - paternal grandmother
third male child - father
third female child - mother

See, for e.g.,

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/traditional-scottish-naming-patterns-2115646700.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 19 10:55 BST (UK) »
Just an outside possibility:

I noticed that their second daughter (on an online tree) was Jennet/Janet and the first son listed was William.

There was a John Scott bpt Gretna in 1769, son of William Scott and Janet Scott.

Would that be the record that you found.

Gadget

Add - Also, the same year at Gretna - to William Scott and Jean Jackson
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline david standley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
Yes to the Gretna birth.

Children are
1789 Margaret - Agnes' mother was Margaret
1790 Janet - possible John mother in Gretna [Janet claimed that a William Scott, gone to England, was the father.
1793 Helen
1794 Jean
1796 William - Agnes father and John possible father
1797 James
1799 John

This does appear to fit the naming pattern which you describe.

Thanks

David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 19 11:06 BST (UK) »
It does fit with the baptisms that you/I found  - see reply #2

To test if this is a strong probably, you need to follow up to see if there was another John Scott who could be the son of William and Janet or Jean. Look for deaths and marriages.

Gadget

Offline Barb Duke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 May 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello. I am new to the site and I hope you won't mind me getting in touch with you. I have a family member David SCOTT born 1806 .The birth place I have is Annandale Dumfies and Galloway. .I am hoping that he is part of the family you have. David married in Liverpool and had 2 marriages. He had a dughter born 1844 named Agnes Lorrain. He had 8 or 9 children altogether. Because of the names and his place of birth I am wondering if there is a connection, also if your Jobs relative William went to Englad maybe he went to David. I also have a John and William in David's children.
If you think there may be a family like would you be willing for us to comare/share info. Regards Barbara Duke

Offline Barb Duke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 May 19 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again. I have made a mistake in my last message. I should have written that maybe your John and my David went to Englad to meet up /join William.
Barbara

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 19 15:30 BST (UK) »
I think I'm right in saying that the Agnes Lorrain you mention is a daughter of William Lorrain, my 5th great-uncle, and Margaret Hope. They married at Graitney (aka Gretna) in 1755, and it would not be surprising, I suppose, for John Scott to have been born there or for Agnes and John to have married there too.

There is a tree (not mine) on Anc*stry which suggests that Agnes married John Scott on 13 Nov 1788 and died on 29 March 1829 though - disappointingly - no locations are given. The tree also indicates that John Scott was born on 16 May 1766 and died on 29 March 1863. Again, no locations are given for his birth or death but these dates must have been found somewhere.

The Lorrain name, by the way is spelt a dozen different way, depending on who the clerk was. One possible source of research would be Allan G Lorraine's books on the Lorraine family pedigree which were privately published and are available to see on request at the Ewart Library in Dumfries, the Heritage Hub in Hawick and the Victoria State Genealogical Society library in Melbourne.

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline david standley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 May 19 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara and Ian

Thanks for your replies. I have been away for the weekend hence my slow reply.

Barbara - I am not sure about your David's connection. Ther Agnes Lorrain bit is strong evidence but I cannot find a David Scott born in 1806 to a John Scott. Ian mentioned an Ancestry tree. It looks as though that tree gives a DOB for a David Scott. But I cannot see where the evidence comes from.

Ian - I am a bit suspicious of some of this information. The death of the John Scott for instance in 1863. It says that he was 97 and had been married to Mary White. I cant find that marriage. Nor can I find the birth of Robert Scott, son, who registered the death.

David