Author Topic: Gay Flier  (Read 11067 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gay Flier
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
Where did I get Alan from  ::) Sorry!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Where did I get Alan from  ::) Sorry!

Monica

No problem, Maureen ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 May 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
You probably have this, but thought to add as it gives some more detail to the story although no answers:

Another fleeting recollection of 1915 was the swift passage through wartime Glasgow in a bleak week of smirring drizzle and gloom, of an exotic party of Canadian Indian troops commanded by Chief Clear Sky.  They were on their way to the war and sampled Glasgow hospitality enjoying a first, and no doubt last, taste of black pudding.

But they left one young Indian behind.  His name was Gay Flier.  He was very very ill with flu and died in Govan Military Hospital.  My grandpa had been seeing to Chief Clear Sky’s men when they were in Glasgow and so’s not to let the boy get buried in an unmarked grave he claimed the body and saw to it that there was a right funeral in Glasgow with magistrates there, a gun carriage and a party to fire a salute at the grave.  It wasnae among his own open-air folk, but it was better than being not heeded at all.

https://dianacranstoun.com/tag/world-war-i/

Monica

PS: Just realised that aside from me calling you Alan rather than Alistair, I have also been referring to Walter Freer as William. I must have bopped by head yesterday!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 May 19 21:41 BST (UK) »
Wasn't it December 1916 when the Canadians were in Glasgow? Also, how odd, if magistrates, a gun carriage and party to fire salute were at the funeral, you would have expected even a small mention in the papers ( as numerous, similar funerals of the time were).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
Looking at some burials within a fortnight of the Canadians passing through Glasgow, I can see a David Stalkie, aged 25 (possibly the David Stalker, aged 21, in SP Service Returns for 1916, albeit on CWGC, can only see one David Stalker death in 1916, aged 19, on Thiepval memorial, died October), buried at Eastern Necropolis 29/12/1916, died at Merryflats from Consumption. No relatives mentioned. No other obvious burials from Merryflats at the Eastern during the two week or so period.

Any other nearby cemeteries to Merryflats that may have burial registers that can be viewed ? Checking Craigton just now.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:56 BST (UK) »
You probably have this, but thought to add as it gives some more detail to the story although no answers:

Another fleeting recollection of 1915 was the swift passage through wartime Glasgow in a bleak week of smirring drizzle and gloom, of an exotic party of Canadian Indian troops commanded by Chief Clear Sky.  They were on their way to the war and sampled Glasgow hospitality enjoying a first, and no doubt last, taste of black pudding.

But they left one young Indian behind.  His name was Gay Flier.  He was very very ill with flu and died in Govan Military Hospital.  My grandpa had been seeing to Chief Clear Sky’s men when they were in Glasgow and so’s not to let the boy get buried in an unmarked grave he claimed the body and saw to it that there was a right funeral in Glasgow with magistrates there, a gun carriage and a party to fire a salute at the grave.  It wasnae among his own open-air folk, but it was better than being not heeded at all.

https://dianacranstoun.com/tag/world-war-i/

Monica

PS: Just realised that aside from me calling you Alan rather than Alistair, I have also been referring to Walter Freer as William. I must have bopped by head yesterday!

Thanks, Monica. It was 1916 in December that they came to Glasgow.

As to your problem with names - either advancing senility or not enough water in your whisky!

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:57 BST (UK) »
Wasn't it December 1916 when the Canadians were in Glasgow? Also, how odd, if magistrates, a gun carriage and party to fire salute were at the funeral, you would have expected even a small mention in the papers ( as numerous, similar funerals of the time were).

I agree. The apparent absence of any report is unusual.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at some burials within a fortnight of the Canadians passing through Glasgow, I can see a David Stalkie, aged 25 (possibly the David Stalker, aged 21, in SP Service Returns for 1916, albeit on CWGC, can only see one David Stalker death in 1916, aged 19, on Thiepval memorial, died October), buried at Eastern Necropolis 29/12/1916, died at Merryflats from Consumption. No relatives mentioned. No other obvious burials from Merryflats at the Eastern during the two week or so period.

Any other nearby cemeteries to Merryflats that may have burial registers that can be viewed ? Checking Craigton just now.

The CWGC Stalker was in the West Kent Regiment, so unfortunately not Canadian. Thanks for looking.