Author Topic: Medal bar what are they  (Read 1722 times)

Offline AlasdairGTW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medal bar what are they
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, but the 2nd ribbon in the bar looks more like that of a discoloured DCM ribbon than a VM, although that wouldn't be the correct order of wear either, the loose section of ribbon at the back of the ribbon does however look like that of a VM.

There seems to be a couple more Soundies listed in the Gazette for 1918 & 1922, any chance this could have been a brothers or relations bar if it is indeed a DCM ribbon?.

Offline AlasdairGTW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 07:55 BST (UK) »
I popped back to have another look at this, I was fairly confident that there was no victory medal ribbon on the bar, only the wee part loose under bar.

I was wrong in my last reply as this isn't a DCM ribbon, most likely his ISM ribbon as he was awarded the Imperial Service Medal in 1954.

The London Gazette, Publication - ISM awarded 2nd February 1954 for his Civil Service.
Supplement:40089 Page:714

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 October 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
Good spot, Alistair.
I agree the ribbon next to the MM is the ISM, which the OP mentioned in the first post and which I overlooked  :-[ , and the bit of loose ribbon is the VM. 
As I understand it the order of wear should be : Military Medal, 1914 Star, War Medal, Victory Medal and, lastly, the Imperial Service Medal. The ribbon bar as shown seems to have had a bit of a hard life !
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)