Author Topic: Name of ship can’t quite work it out  (Read 3769 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Name of ship can’t quite work it out
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
Yes. Well done Munchies.
Be aware that Crew Agreements for years ending in "five" together with the years 1861 and 1862 are stored in NMM Greenwich.
https://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum/caird-library/crew-lists-agreements-official-logs-request-form
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 19:02 BST (UK) »
I am trying to work out the name of the previous ship for Elias Saunde in line 5 it is dittoed with the person in line 4 it’s out of Liverpool but not sure on the name. It’s possibly the same name as line 1

I am trying to track his voyages this ship is the Aphrodite but can’t quite work out his previous ship. All my guesses so far have not matched up with a ship apart from Fame and typically there are no online records for that ship
Any suggestions gratefully received

Hello

Your chap's vessel "Do" - Ditto

The vessel above is the Janig

European for Jane, Jean, Joan Johanna and Joanne etc.

The first letter of the vessel name is formed the same as the vessel in line 1, the Janie

Mark

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Mark,
I had a look again at the column entry for "Previous Ship" (www.mun.ca/mha) and I see that the letter "e" has two forms in this column.
Compare line 1, 4 and 15 - I think the relevant entries are "Same" and "Do".
jcmac

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 July 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
Interesting concluding line...a long journey to find the truth, well done!

I have to ask whether this was your suspicion prior to checking out his seafaring journeys?

Annie

No definitely not there has never been any suspicion and I am quite disappointed that we may not have any Norwegian blood (although it does explain why my ancestry DNA test says I am 83% north west England ) He was elusive always away at sea for census or electoral roll. And my grandad remembered him being away for long periods when they had to chop up furniture for firewood then he would come home and tip gold into wife’s held out apron. I was just curious about his sea faring history and then once I started it was like picking at a scab I couldn’t stop 🙈😂
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)