Author Topic: Name of ship can’t quite work it out  (Read 3746 times)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
Name of ship can’t quite work it out
« on: Sunday 12 May 19 02:34 BST (UK) »
I have found a relative on Aphrodite in 1889
I am interested in line 5 Elias Saunde I can’t quite make out the name of his previous ship from Liverpool which is written on line 4 and is possibly the same as line 1

I am trying to track his voyages but am stuck as all possible guesses so far have not come up with a ship to match.

I do have a bigger picture with more writing to compare to but I think it might be too big to post

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
Re: Name of ship can’t quite work it out
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 19 02:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to work out the name of the previous ship for Elias Saunde in line 5 it is dittoed with the person in line 4 it’s out of Liverpool but not sure on the name. It’s possibly the same name as line 1

I am trying to track his voyages this ship is the Aphrodite but can’t quite work out his previous ship. All my guesses so far have not matched up with a ship apart from Fame and typically there are no online records for that ship
Any suggestions gratefully received
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 19 03:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help but it may be an idea to add the yr 1880 to your post as it's not the 1st thing people will notice when they look at the image but does help?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 May 19 03:22 BST (UK) »
What does the column say (hard to decipher) but I think it's asking a place name rather than the name of a ship or am I in the wrong column...which column?

"State Name and Official No.
or Port xxxx belonged to."

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 19 03:23 BST (UK) »
Threads merged.

I could be wrong, but I think the word is Norway ...   

ADD ...  OOPS umm that's for the column heading - where born  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 May 19 03:24 BST (UK) »
The first letter is the same as the first letter of the ship in the top row which I think is the Jane or possible James.  A J anyway.
But I don’t think it is the same ship.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 19 03:31 BST (UK) »
The person at line 4 ... may have been 'Capt' as in Captain of the ship that the person on line 5 also was on ... and both likely signed on 1/8/1880  which I think would be 1st August rather than 8th January.  So perhaps look for the possible captain may help find the name of the ship  ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 May 19 03:37 BST (UK) »
I think it could be the “Janie”

Eg this From the OCR

BeringapatuDi, London Janie, Liverpool Hartford, Arendal, Griding, Liverpool Lady Gertrude, Greenock Unione S, Hull 4 32 p.si.—TJE, modsrate. PORXHLEVEN. Arrived off Mary, Stodden [Aprl3]Hnvre and proceeded for Newport
15 April 1880 - Lloyd's List - London, London, England

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 May 19 03:47 BST (UK) »
I could be completely wrong, but I read the word as “Same”.  I think the word “Same”’is used the first time a name is repeated in the column, and then “Do.” is used for all subsequent repeats.  So I think the ship is the “Ken_____” but I’m not sure of the full name.

Steve