Author Topic: Help with McCarthy Family of Lixnaw  (Read 5602 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with McCarthy Family of Lixnaw
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 May 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Well spotted Maureen

mothers name spelt Lawler
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nsc/

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 May 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
 Wow! Thank you so much! I’ve been looking for this family for legitimately about eight years at this point, and you guys just figured it out in a couple days. I used to think I was good at this genealogy thing.

Did anybody notice that it says they had eight children, 4 still living, but then goes on to list seven living children?  Still doesn’t bode well for Denis, though.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
Ah yes.  Was out and about on my phone and didn't realize it was a 7 with a large dip in the top rather than the 4.  Caught it a moment ago.

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:11 BST (UK) »
This is going to be like a live-tweet, I think, and you all are welcome to jump in as you see fit.  Just found a marriage for John Joseph McCarthy on 6 Feb 1928 at St. Mary's on Haddington Rd. in Dublin.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:12 BST (UK) »
This is going to be like a live-tweet, I think, and you all are welcome to jump in as you see fit.  Just found a marriage for John Joseph McCarthy on 6 Feb 1928 at St. Mary's on Haddington Rd. in Dublin.

Son of......?

Link to record?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
Why not post the PDF or a Link to it to save others having to search for it?

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 00:04 BST (UK) »
Further found Thomas Patrick McCarthy's wedding to Margaret Begadon (14 Jun 1922 at St. John Clontarf).

Margaret Josephine married Joseph Fay 22 Aug 1923 at Church of the Visitation in Fairview Dublin.

Haven't found the rest yet.

Edit: Found a grave belonging to this family group in Bray.
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/wicklow/photos/tombstones/little-bray-3/target113.html

But it's throwing up a red flag on these last two marriages at least.  Thomas and Margaret are linked by the address of 70 Cadogan Rd., Dublin. Both of them had this as their address at time of marriage.  On the St. Peter's Little Bray website, they've got a burial index which lists addresses for the deceased, and this grave is clearly associated with that address. 

BUT- as you can see, there is a Rose McCarthy included on the stone.  I looked her up after looking Thomas up.  She is clearly his widow.  On her death record, Thomas signs as her son.  This doesn't match Mary Lawlor, unless it's Mary Rose Lawlor.  Her age is also about 6 years younger than the original Mary.  Thomas also appears to sign as Thomas F. rather than Thomas P. as we'd expect.  The elder Thomas was listed as a farmer on Thomas's marriage to Margaret Begadon.  That's a little weird for him, I think, but when Margaret got married with the same address, I was reassured to see him listed as as "retired official," which matches well with the census record above. 

I think at this point John's marriage is the only one I am confident of.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 07:54 BST (UK) »
Young Denis born London appears to have died 4th March 1904 age 7 at the Meath Hospital with address of 16 Charlotte St son of a messenger from T B Meningitis
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05639/4586718.pdf
he is buried in Glasnevin (if searching the index enter the name with the gap mc carthy)
https://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/results/index.xml