Author Topic: Angus Cemetary Maps  (Read 1461 times)

Offline PickleNBeans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Noob Researcher - Professional Snorlax
    • View Profile
Angus Cemetary Maps
« on: Monday 13 May 19 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hello new here but not new to the game.
Im wondering if anyone has any copy of all (or at least some) of the cemetery maps. Im doing some headstone finding walks (new baby, got to keep fit, why not walk in graveyards?) through findagrave searching for people's ancestors for grave pictures.

I asked the local council and got a blank stare and directed towards the deceased online page (yarhar paywall ahead!) and that was about as much use as a candyfloss windbreak. Obviously my closest (Newmonthill) is  massive and searching for a Smith could be impossible. Ive done a few Inverkeilor and Kinnell but that takes minimal walking!! Some people offer plots but I dont have a map!

So if you can help please send me in the right direction.
Robb - Angus / Aberdeenshire
McKerchar - Angus / Dumfries?
Shaw - Angus

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Angus Cemetary Maps
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 19 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome Have you thought of the M I books although outdated they do provide a plan of the burials

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 19 10:03 BST (UK) »
This 'map' exists for Newmonthill http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nsb/ . It might at least narrow down some of your searches where plot numbers are known.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 19 10:22 BST (UK) »
Arbroath's Eastern Cemetery has a section plan located at the Western gate(Brechin Road).
If you would like a copy PM me your email address , I can't post it here(Copyright).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
If you ever fancy a trip into Dundee I have cemetery maps for Eastern Necropolis, Arbroath Road and Balgay Cemetery.

Like ev says pm me if you would like a copy.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 May 19 11:03 BST (UK) »
Kirriemuir cemetery plan is on Deceased Online. I have used it to find several plots in this big cemetery.  If it's on there then the plan must also exist somewhere else - presumably in Council archive.   Deceased online sells you the lair location and plan  as part of the chargable search process.   Angus (Forfarshire) is very well covered on this site - but it is pay to view.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland