Author Topic: Reading faded shipping details  (Read 2840 times)

Offline JudithS

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reading faded shipping details
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 May 19 09:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, JCMac it looks like an M but could be W. Will look again tomorrow. cheers and thanks.  ;)
Bonser, Bonsire France, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Australia
Burton, de Bourton, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire
Woodthorpe, de Woodthorpe, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Essex, Suffolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 May 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
You must all have better eyesight or monitors than me .... I can’t determine the street name with any certainty.

I did have my doubts that the letter suggested is an ‘N’ - it looks wider than the ‘N’ a couple of lines down. I thought perhaps an ‘M’ though jcmac’s suggestion of a ‘W’ makes more sense. I also could not see that the last letter could be an ‘s’ .....no rounded bits - and some serifs visible perhaps? Once again, ‘Thomson’ fits better with what I see. (Though I can’t see a capital letter T, though probably due to my screen).  :)

Although the ink on the page is blurred which makes it less legible, I am wondering if a better image can be gained? New scan perhaps?

Have you found the said person on any electoral rolls in Scotland?

Offline JudithS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
No, Ruskie, I only have this one person on my ancestry tree and cant find a lot on him, just that he came to Aust 1953  -1955, and on his way out, made a baby... in Western Australia :D his daughter(my sil, has been looking for him)  I have a date of his birth 13/12/1926 - from his return to UK in 1955 with this Scottish address; and although being on ancestry/family search etc  cant find a birth or baptism for him. He was Scottish apparently and have looked so hard for him, think my eyes are burning. Would love to help find her birth father. xx 8)  and more to the point, her Scotish family and heritage. She was adopted out after birth, Fremantle West Aust...sure he didnt know about this...but not a lot known....so far...but determined to help my wonderful s.i.l if I/we can.  ???

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
I hope you manage to find him Judith.  :)

As he may still be living you are obviously not allowed to name him, but have you managed to find him on any Scottish electoral rolls or in the phone books? Obviously you would be looking for him at that address around the time of his arrival back to the UK.

Have you tried looking for people with the same surname at that address, as he might have given the address of a relative on his return ....

Have you looked for his birth in England in case he was born there rather than Scotland? Also consider spelling variations of surname and possible use of middle name as forename ....

I'm sure others will have more suggestions for you.

Offline JudithS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 07:42 BST (UK) »
Ruskie yes, thanks, you are so kind for the suggestions. I have done all of that but the 'daughter' has just done her DNA on ancestry, so we now have other options. The shipping records to and from Aust 1953 - 1955 are a certain, for sure, and to find Clydesbank, Scotland is a big plus as that is where her DNA leads. Cheers and thanks.  :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 08:07 BST (UK) »
Positive thoughts from me too. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline JudithS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 09:13 BST (UK) »
JM thanks I too am positive.  ???  :D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
I hope the DNA matches help your friend Judith. It can be a very useful tool.  :)

Do you know what age her father would have been on his return? I presume you have looked for a marriage for him in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK? How close are the Scottish DNA matches?

If your friend has any half siblings, she could have them tested too, so any mutual matches would have to be on their mother’s side of the family. Your friend should also upload her raw data to My Heritage, FTDNA and Gedmatch as she may find more matches on other sites. There is a cost on My Heritage and FTDNA to “unlock” features such as chromosome browser, but worth the relatively minimal cost I think.

You are probably already aware of this (assuming he stayed in Scotland):
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/birth-death-and-marriage-records

Best of luck for a positive result.  :)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 12:31 BST (UK) »
I contacted Clydebank District Library today and spoke to a lady who assists with historical queries and records. She consulted an Electoral Roll @ 1955/6 and advised me no property mentioned for 43 or 45 West Thomson St. (43 & 45 East Thomson St. had occupants with surnames Th..... and Bi.....).
Part of the problem is the result of the Clydebank Blitz in March 1941 when the town was blown to bits and the subsequent rebuilding.
Are you able to get a better scan of the 1955 address ?
When you searched for a birth in December 1926 did you also check for a possible registration in January 1927 ?