Author Topic: St Michaels Churchyard  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: St Michaels Churchyard
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 17:07 BST (UK) »
Yes.. have his baptism...

cannot find Isobells parents as yet.. but working on it. 

:) 

thanks again Gadget -- brilllllliant help

xin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:22 BST (UK) »
oh   ... but at least I should be able to have a 'hard copy' now ...

this is what its about.. actual  'STUFF'  not uhm ......(saying nothing....:) )  brilliant I am blown away this week and most of it was instigated with a

Find your Grave additional bit of info.. :) 

thank you

xin

I know what you were going to say Xin!  DNA....

One morning recently I had a bit of a breakthrough in Dundee when I was just perusing burial records which have been transcribed by the Friends of Dundee Archives.  I found a child we never knew existed (born and died a year before her parents married) and then I looked more closely at others with the same surname.  Several burials said where the deceased was born which led me to a parish I'd not looked at before.  By lunchtime I'd found the elusive baptism of my ancestor under a most original spelling of his surname which I found at ScotlandsPeople by using "names that start with" for the surname.  Descendants have been looking for him for decades!  No wonder we'd never found it.  AND it was nice to take a break from DNA.

It's provided some focus for the DNA searches and since then we think we've spotted DNA matches with a few of his siblings (previously we were only sure of one, whom we now know to be a half-sister).  None of them are closer than 5th cousins but there's been some persistent strands of DNA handed down.

It's fortunate that your ancestor has a headstone recorded at St Michaels.  The church was extended into the graveyard in the 1700s and several monuments were moved or lost. One of my ancestors doesn't have a monument there (she probably did originally) but her parents have one.   

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
Yes --- this is a great - 'game'  wonderful - ups and downs -

I have two successes to every 3 failures -- but well worth the trawl 

We do hope to get to Dumfries.. eventually --

I now have the hardcopy Book  and that is special.

what a 'dogged' searcher you are -- but look at the results..   brilliant - absolutely

xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 May 19 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi again Xin   :)

Just to let you know that FindMyPast have the burial records for St Michaels up. I was notified today that some Dumfriesshire burial records were up and I've just found my 5 x great's record there in 1774.

Gadget

(They are from SP )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 May 19 14:11 BST (UK) »
well thats good.. Find my Past are really helping with the Scots crew at the moment..

Thank you

xin