Author Topic: Surnames in other languages  (Read 4722 times)

Offline just1203

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames in other languages
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
The history of the surname is a little more complicated than 'Smith'. During the ancient feudal time, kings will often force people that belong to a rival family to change their last name as a form of submission.

That happened in 1232. After usurping the Ly Dynasty, the Tran’s clan leader Tran Thu Do forced the descendants of the Ly family to change their last name to Nguyen.
Same thing happened in 1592, after losing their dynasty, most of the Mac family changed their last name to either Nguyen or Leu to avoid retribution from the new king.
Then in 1802, the Nguyen family took over the throne, so a lot of people changed their last name to Nguyen in hope of earning favors from the royal family.
The Nguyen themselves bred a lot. Gia Long, the first Nguyen emperor famously had more than 100 concubines. Minh Mạng, the second emperor, had 142 official children.
The Nguyen was also the last feudal dynasty in Vietnam, so there was no new kings to force the same fate onto them.
Hair, Dennett, Williams, Jones, Rhodes, Urmston, Charmley, Darroch

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 18:39 BST (UK) »
In western Kenya, the Joluo people have a system where the persons middle name indicates the time of day they were born, or some other noteable event.  Names beginning with an 'A' are feminine, those beginning with 'O' are male. 

For example, a great friend of mine was Joseph Adhiambo Suku.  Wait a bit, you may say ... he has a female middle name !   True, but he was born at the same time as his mothers sister died, so he was given her name, Adhiambo.   (Suku was his fathers name.)

My children were all given Luo names .... so as two of my daughters were born in the evening, they are both Atieno; third daughter was born in the afternoon, so she is Adhiambo; and my son, the last born, is Otieno (same as the girls - born in the evening), but he has the additional name of Obon'go .... a boy born after girls.

It can get a lot more complicated than the above ..... but the local people are used to it !!

And NO surnames as in Europe.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
Also, a branch of my family goes by the name of Vanstone.
The Canadian side have changed this to Van Stone and have assumed the name comes from Belgium or The Netherlands ::)
Nope! Stems from North Devon and Cornwall ;D ;D
Amanda Vanstone was a Federal politician here in Australia
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting this..I'm having a job identifying Lithuanian Latvian
Ancestors they seem to alter spellings everytimr they emigrate and have documents in Russian Hebrew Polish and English

The Goldberg's may have been Golden Gold or Goldstein

Friedman also Freed and Freedman within one generation between 1850+1930
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
Also, a branch of my family goes by the name of Vanstone.
The Canadian side have changed this to Van Stone and have assumed the name comes from Belgium or The Netherlands ::)
Nope! Stems from North Devon and Cornwall ;D ;D
Amanda Vanstone was a Federal politician here in Australia
And her sister is still a judge here in SA, I believe. Supreme Court?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting this..I'm having a job identifying Lithuanian Latvian
Ancestors they seem to alter spellings everytimr they emigrate and have documents in Russian Hebrew Polish and English

The Goldberg's may have been Golden Gold or Goldstein

Friedman also Freed and Freedman within one generation between 1850+1930
Transliteration through other scripts can always create anomalies. When I worked in a bank I once interviewed a prospective customer who was a Palestinian from Israel. She produced ID documents that bore very little relation to the name as she wrote it in an Anglicised form as they had been transliterated from the Arabic version into Hebrew then back to Latin script.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 October 19 06:31 BST (UK) »
A bit late but hopefully helpful;

"Faragher" comes from an Old Irish personal name, Fearchar"

In Scotland Farquhar, I believe pronounced as 'Feracher'...certainly to my ear  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 25 October 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Landsman could have become Landau Landis and or Lane in other countries .

Making names shorter could also be due to  translation simplifications
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 25 October 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
The Indian name 'Patel' is sometimes westernised to 'Farmer'.

Wikipedia:

The term patel derives from the word Patidar, literally "one who holds (owned) pieces of land called patis", implying a higher economic status than that of the landless.

Martin