Author Topic: Hempstead by Holt 1750  (Read 647 times)

Offline druschki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hempstead by Holt 1750
« on: Thursday 16 May 19 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

I have traced my ancestors back to a John Browne baptized 3 May 1750/51 All Saints Hempstead by Holt.  Possibly a boot/shoe maker? Parents are Thomas and Martha Browne?  Are there any other records besides the parish records for this village? Any hints or suggestions of what to do to get past this brick wall are welcome.
Many thanks.
Brown (Bodham, Middlesbrough), Griffiths (Blaina, Stockton), Randall (Harmondsworth, Islington), Harland (Westminster, Richmond)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hempstead by Holt 1750
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 May 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
If he's the one who married Thomasin/Jammison Browne  widow there in 1780 one of the witnesses is Thomas Browne.The other Thomas Allin regular witness.

There is a baptism for a Thomas Browne 28.3.1697 s of Thomas and a possible burial 25.11.1758.
Your Thomas and Mary/Martha had children John 3.3.1751,Thomas 24.9.1752,Edmund 20.6.1754 and Robert 30.4.1755.
A Thomas browne married a Mary Ford 14.4.1696 at Hempstead by Holt.
But that would make Thomas 54 when he had his first child.
However it looks like a  Thomas Hunter Brown was buried over at Holt 2.10.1749.
Could that be dad and Thomas had to wait for his death.

You could try the Will index on the Norfolk Archives site.Once you find a Will they can be viewed over at Familysearch

Ciderdrinker

Offline druschki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hempstead by Holt 1750
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 19 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes you are right. The witness at the wedding could have been either Thomas Browne the father or Thomas Browne the brother of the groom. I am trying to connect the parents Thomas and Martha Browne with any other Brownes living in or near Hempstead. Possibly there exists some local histories or documents relating to the village in 1700-1800?
All the best.
Brown (Bodham, Middlesbrough), Griffiths (Blaina, Stockton), Randall (Harmondsworth, Islington), Harland (Westminster, Richmond)