Author Topic: 7th Fusiliers 1848  (Read 183 times)

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
7th Fusiliers 1848
« on: Thursday 16 May 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me with some information regarding the 7th Fusiliers. The year is 1848 and the person is in barracks in Ireland, he is a Paymaster staff sergeant. The 1871 census states he is a paymaster staff sergeant in the South Gloster Militia.

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Fusiliers 1848
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:34 BST (UK) »
......and his name is ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 May 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was after general information on the 7th Fusiliers but if there is info available on individuals then his name was William Taylor b:1819 Howth. 

Thanks
T

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 May 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
I was hoping to find his army records but they seem not to have survived.

The army "worldwide index" for 1851 has a Sergeant William Taylor 1350 with 7th Fusiliers in Portsmouth. I think this is your man (he's in the 1851 census in barracks in Portsmouth). The 1841 index places him as a private in Gibraltar.

I haven't found him in any medal rolls but I will check again. From the birthplaces of his children I think he must have transferred to the Gloucester militia around 1854/5 and would not have gone to the Crimea. 

Here is some background on the 7th Fusiliers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Fusiliers

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 May 19 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info, this is the right guy; my 3 x grt grandfather. A shame the records didnít survive.

The family did settle in Gloucester. I notice that you found him on the 1841 census, do you have the piece, folio and page number please as that is the only census that I do not have. 

I can now read all about the fusiliers and add that info to the tree.

Thanks once again.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 May 19 19:30 BST (UK) »
No I haven't found him in the 1841 census. I found him in the 1841 army worldwide index (which was created from entries in regimental muster books and paylists) which places him in Gibraltar.

I did find him in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses.