Author Topic: Dominick Diver born 1836 Meagherblade, emigrated N.S.W. 1864 IMFO  (Read 2729 times)

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dominick Diver born 1836 Meagherblade, emigrated N.S.W. 1864 IMFO
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 May 19 12:28 BST (UK) »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!nice to know someone has patience with me, thankyou SO SO much, thought I would contact Ireland first, and then onto the Australia site, your imfo is SO much apprieciated
Elwyn Soutter , you are a star!!!!!!!!thankyou.Margaret.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 May 19 12:52 BST (UK) »

BDM NSW deaths
18376/1914   DEVIR  Julia                   parents Nicholas / -         @ Bowraville 
3902/1918     DEVIR  Dominick            parents - / Ellen              @ Bowraville
32280/1950   DEVIR  John                   parents Dominic / Julia    @ Grafton
27703/1959   DEVIR  Nicholas              parents Dominic / Julia    @ Macksville
14475/1966   DEVIR  Dominick James   parents Dominick James / Julia    @ Macksville
32810/1970   DEVIR  Michael Patrick     parents Dominick / Julia  @ Newtown

Nambucca and Bellinger News  15 Mar 1918 p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/214625434?
...obituary for Dominick DEVIR ........81st year......

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thankyou SO much, you got there in the end, the wrong imfo sends everyone into confusion, including  me,  thankyou.Margaret.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
At least you got there unfortunately I make John who died aged 76 in 1899 to be born 1823 and therefore aged 13 when Dominic was born in 1836...... a minor detail! 

But at least the names fit  as does townland.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add that John Diver who died in 1899 was married according to the death cert and was 76. Grand-daughter Bridget Diver was the informant.

A Mary Diver died in Magherablad on 14.4.1893 aged 62. She was a spinster and the informant was her brother John. So those two are of an age to be Dominick’s siblings.

If you go through all the births, deaths and marriages registered in Dunfanaghy on the irishgenealogy site, you may find a few more relatives of this family.
Elwyn

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou once more.Margaret.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
Bridget Driver married Alick Strain on 27.2.1900. Her father was John Driver, farmer. She was born in Magherablad on 6.10.1878 to John Diver & Bridget O’Donnell.

Bridget Diver and husband in 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Creeslough/Masiness/1172959/

There's a tree on Ancestry that records this Alexander dying at Canakkale, Turkey (no date given). That's Gallipoli, so he presumably had joined up and died in WW1. The tree doesn't say anything about Bridget or Julia.

The CWGC website gives his date of death as 28.8.1915. He was in the 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Service no 20860.

Edit: Julia Strain died 13.7.1902 at Killyfad, Co. Donegal.
Elwyn

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 May 19 14:59 BST (UK) »

NSW BDM births

11934/1872   DIVER  John                   parents Dominick / Julia  @ Macleay River
13155/1874   DIVER  Joanah                parents Domnick / Julia   @ Nambucca River
13620/1875  DEVER  Nicholas              parents Dominack / Juli   @ Nambucca River
19744/1881  DEVIR  Michael Patrick      parents Dominick / Julia  @ Nambucca River   
19745/1881  DEVIR  Dominick James    parents Dominick / Julia  @ Nambucca River       
22132/1883  DEVIR  Ellen                     parents Dominick / Julia  @ Nambucca River

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dominick Diver born 1836 Meagherblade, emigrated N.S.W. 1864
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 May 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
Bridget DEVIR/DIVER was the eldest sister of my grandfather, John Patrick DEVIR b. 1883 in Wagga Wagga NSW.
She was a very young baby when her father, John, & mother, Bridget, nee O’DONNELL, emigrated to Australia on the Scottish Hero. It was intended that she was to be reunited with them when old enough to undertake the voyage, but, sadly, the illnesses and deaths of 4 of her subsequent siblings,  and her mother,  within 7 years of arriving in Australia, ended that hope.
Bridget was raised by family in Magherablad, as Elwyn has said. (Her grandfather, John, was my mother’s great grandfather.) Bridget’t father, John, sent money from Australia to support her until he disappeared from Western Australia around 1907.
 I have posted about them in more detail but can’t remember how to insert a link [email][email] but if you look through my post history,  or search for their names the post should come up.
I have a fair bit of info on Dominick (sic) and Julia and would be happy to share it. I’m away from my family tree atm, (in bed with an iPad!) but can send you a report in a day or two. Pm me with your contact details.
 Cheers, annmck
My mother and her siblings knew of the relationship but not much detail. “Dadda’s cousins” was the extent of their understanding.
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)