Author Topic: Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario - death in 1983 - finding a date?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario - death in 1983 - finding a date?
« on: Saturday 18 May 19 15:25 BST (UK) »
I have a grave marker photo, via find a grave, from Woodland Cemetery, Kitchener for a Charles W Walsh 1902 - 1983. That's all it says.

Background:
There is a very strong possibility that this is Charles William Walsh, born in Liverpool 5th August 1902, emigrated to Canada 1928, married Hilda Charlotte Balge at St Mary's RC Church, Kitchener on 19th August 1940. She died on 2nd August 1945 and was buried at Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener.

Charles re-married in 1947 to June C Fate, I have them on the electoral registers in Kitchener at 38 Adelaide St, Kitchener from at least 1962-1974. June died in Calgary in 2002 and her obit says she was pre-deceased by Charlie and had relocated to Alberta to be near family in 1985. So that timing seems to fit with him perhaps dying in 1983.

This gravestone is highly likely, but I'd be happier if I can find something to confirm its the man I am looking for.

The cost of CAD 65 for a search to locate a death record and then another CAD 65 for a certificate is outside my budget.
If I can ascertain a death or burial date then I can hopefully source an obituary from perhaps a local library's newspaper holdings for a lot less. I can't realistically expect a library to look through an entire years worth of newspapers.

I have tried emailing Kitchener Cemeteries to ask if its possible for them to tell me the burial date. So far no reply, but I assume they are busy and at some stage they may have time to reply - if they are allowed to give me this info.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest other avenues to ascertain a ball park death or burial date?  Are there any local newspapers online anywhere? (I will happily go through an entire year myself to find what I want). If anyone knows of a site that may have obits for this area from 1983, I'd be very interested.

Thanks

Boo

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario - death in 1983 - finding a date?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

I'm rather curious about where you got that pricing from? This link is to the official government site and prices seem to be considerably less than you have mentioned? For example, it looks like a death search is only $15 and covers 5 years.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-death-certificate-online

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 19 20:22 BST (UK) »
oh thank you! The site I'd looked at was
https://vitalcertificates.ca/province/ontario/death-certificate

and I'd only had a quick look, saw the large print saying Goverment Issued Vital Certificates, scrolled down to see the cost and closed the site down.:-)
IF I'd looked more closely its not an official Government site and is charging a premium.

Will see if anyone knows of any obit sites, if not then I'll have to bite the bullet, pay for a search, wait 8 weeks and then pay for a cert wait another 8 weeks and 'then'  possibly know when G Uncle Charlie shuffled off his mortal coil.

Boo

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 May 19 20:51 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome.

Hopefully, the cemetery will get back to you.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 May 19 18:02 BST (UK) »
For reference -

Charles William Walsh - 1902 - 1983  (aged 81 years)

Woodland Cemetery (Section: 2M), Waterloo County, Ontario

http://geneofun.on.ca/names/photo/1435828

Anc tree - unfortunately just with details of Hilda.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 May 19 18:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, that is the gravemarker I found on find a grave.  I do think its the right man but without a death or burial date I can't ask a library to look and see if there was an obit which should confirm if he's the right person.

I think I am going to have to start the process of getting a copy of the death cert.

Boo

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 May 19 20:28 BST (UK) »

Could this be worth an e-mail ??

There is a RAOGK volunteer (next to last on list) - Types of Lookups - Online Sources, Cemetery Photos, State / Local Library, State / Local Society, State / Local Archive, Vital Records
County/Region - Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge Ontario.

https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/ontario/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 May 19 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Sandra. I'll give that a go.

In the meantime I have sent off a search request, will be a while before anything comes through (they say about 8 weeks plus mailing time to the UK). I may as well have the cert anyway, he's the only one of 12 children in that family I don't yet have a death for and it would be nice to have a 'full set' after all these years.

I do wonder though about the system, I completed all the details such as parents, d.o.b. etc - as I have full documentary evidence of that, but in my experience (at least in the UK) not all informants have knowledge of those details when they register a death. Hopefully they allow some latitude on those details if/when they find a death certificate.

Boo

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
Charles was buried 17 Dec 1983.

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire