Author Topic: Help finding mother’s adoption records from 1945  (Read 7810 times)

Offline tomara1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding mother’s adoption records from 1945
« on: Sunday 19 May 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
This is a huge cry for help as I have hit a brick wall everywhere else I have searched.
My mother was adopted in the UK in 1945. She knows no details of her adoption at all and my grandmother has been gone for 20 years so no way to get info from her.
My mother has dementia which she developed at a relatively young age and it has made my siblings and I wonder if it is genetic and if there are any other medical issues that could be down the road for any of us or even our children. We would love to be able to find where our mother came from but all we have are her adoptive parents names etc and and Mum’s date of birth (although I guess that could even be wrong from things I have read).
We are in Australia which makes it even more difficult.
If there is anyone reading here who has any idea of what we can do, or better yet, knows of someone who might be able assist us in this search we would really appreciate it.
Thank you
Traci

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding mother’s adoption records from 1945
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
People with a "prescribed relationship" can now apply for records of adopted people:

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/news/newsitems/newaccess.htm

Normally that would require the permission of the adopted person, but if that can't be given because of her dementia, you can still apply. Given your location, you may want to use one of the adoption intermediary services to help.

You can also contact GRO for help and advice in getting a copy of your mother's original birth certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 May 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Greetings, and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

Rootschat policy is not to name living people, so we mighjt not be able to help much with the hunt, but AnthonyMMM gives sound advice.  I would add that on the General Register Office cerificates page https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp (right hand side) is a menu with an option "Contact Us" - which may be useful.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tomara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 19 03:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I have sent a couple of emails to see where I can start. It seems almost impossible as the GRO states that only the adopted person can make enquiries. I think maybe handing it to an agency to deal with for me might be the best way to go if I can find one that is either free or very low cost as funds are limited.
If anyone else can advise me where to start with this I would appreciate it very much.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 May 19 04:22 BST (UK) »
It seems almost impossible as the GRO states that only the adopted person can make enquiries.
Do  you or any of your siblings have Power of Attorney for her?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 May 19 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  Welcome to RootsChat

Excellent professional help available in Australia, various organisations, including http://www.jigsaw.org.au/   

Some thoughts ...  Seems likely your Mum was born in the UK, and perhaps came to Australia after adoption...  Have you checked the National Archives of Australia who may well have immigration papers ...  not just the passenger list, but more detailed papers, perhaps not readily available to the general public via online digitised displays.   I mention this because perhaps ten or so years ago, my brother in law and his wife found their full folder of applications, medical hisitory/certificates, from their local doctor, dental records etc from when they applied to come to Australia (ten pound poms scheme, plus the same for each of their then children, they arrived 1960s) ... all digitised, their signatures, their then address in England, comments from their immigration interviews, not just the ship passenger manifest, and much more.    Not long after, the NAA realised Privacy issues were involved, and the entire suite of papers were no longer online.  BUT the papers do exist at the archives. 

http://www.naa.gov.au/     http://www.naa.gov.au/about-us/contact/

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tomara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 May 19 04:58 BST (UK) »
My brother has Power of Attorney but he is the one out of four of us who doesn’t think there is any value in doing this search so it’s unlikely he would get involved.

Offline tomara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 May 19 05:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks MAJM,  We moved to Australia in the 1970’s and I have spent many hours trying to find any information about that, even just passenger lists, but we just don’t seem to exist anywhere. Perhaps I will have another try through those links have given, even if they don’t contain what I am looking for, it would be great to see the other documents you mentioned.  I will also get in touch with Jigsaw to see if they can help. Thanks so much.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 May 19 05:12 BST (UK) »
My fingers are crossed, and I am absolutely certain that the IMMI papers exist, and of course the privacy issues can be overcome.  You will find that Australian officialdom prefers working with the organisations rather than with relatives,  basically because the organisations can use the jargon etc. 

I would encourage you to encourage your sibling with the Power of Attorney to assist you all as much as possible re medical history issues.  You could show him this thread as a start. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.